Hash, Inc. Forums

Another Amplitude Test

largento

Trying out amplitude on a model with teeth.

It really is serviceable to do the lip synch with Amplitude. It's not full animation to be sure, but for simple things, it can definitely work. It could also be used as a starting place, I think. Go in and edit the mouth shapes in some place (O's, MPB, etc.) and it would look pretty good.

jimmytest_s.mov

That seems to be caused by static in the recording. If you cleaned up the audio and removed the noise, you would lose a lot of that.

Where I see it being a big plus is for newbies who just want to make their cartoon character talk. This is much quicker than setting up phenomes and typing words into the dopesheet. With this method, a simple open/close mouth pose and an audio file and they're ready to go.

Here's a side-by-side comparison. On the left, the Amplitude plug-in, on the right, manually synching with the pose slider:

jimmycomp_s.mov

Hands down, manual is better, but for time-saving instances, I could see going with the Amplitude plug-in. Especially for a long speech delivered by a character who isn't in close-up.

I'm debating another project (if TWD doesn't get funded) that would be episodic. Essentially as close as I could go to doing an animated webcomic and being able to simplify things will be key to making it doable.