Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

64bit 0r 32bit

I am about to upgrade to V17 and presently run an Imac. My understanding is that 64bit is not available for the Mac as yet (?) but wondered what the advantages of 64bit over 32 bit are ? The reason for the question is that, if the benefits are worth while I was thinking of getting a PC laptop with W7 64bit and either getting my brother ( techy to the extreme ) to make it dual boot with OSX or use it to render work made and animated on the Imac. I hope this is not an inappropriate Question.

regards

simon

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

On my cheapo HP pavilion with Win 7 64 bit AMD vision graphics that I have all sorts of troubles with AM running the 64 bit version..32 bit runs fine ..most of my troubles are images that crash AM and Simcloth sim crashes .......64 bit only tho.......

I am about to upgrade to V17 and presently run an Imac. My understanding is that 64bit is not available for the Mac as yet (?) but wondered what the advantages of 64bit over 32 bit are ? The reason for the question is that, if the benefits are worth while I was thinking of getting a PC laptop with W7 64bit and either getting my brother ( techy to the extreme ) to make it dual boot with OSX or use it to render work made and animated on the Imac. I hope this is not an inappropriate Question.

regards

simon

For me the only advantage of using A:M on a Windows machine would be that all the plugins will work for you, like FastAO for example.

Render times though are more or less the same on both platforms, so no specific gain there.

Dual booting is of course a good option if you want access to all the plugins and you have a copy of Windows already that you can instal.

Note though, Mac OS X will NOT install on a non Mac machine. Mac OS checks to see if its hardware is the real macoy!

So if you want dual boot you will need to put the Windows OS onto the Mac.

On my cheapo HP pavilion with Win 7 64 bit AMD vision graphics that I have all sorts of troubles with AM running the 64 bit version..32 bit runs fine ..most of my troubles are images that crash AM and Simcloth sim crashes .......64 bit only tho.......

Mike

Thank you for your feedback. You may gather from my other posts that I'm not very tech oriented, I was under the impression that 64 bit rendered a lot faster than 32 bit? That would be my main interest although the other things would chip in as my experience and abilities improve.

regards

simon

Note though, Mac OS X will NOT install on a non Mac machine. Mac OS checks to see if its hardware is the real macoy!

Mark

Thank you for your feedback My preferences would be to stick with the Mac, after years of PC problems, they have been far more reliable. My younger brother has OSX,W7 and Ubuntu running on a PC laptop, likewise a good friend who is a Mac fanatic, apparently it works up to 10.68 at least ?

regards

simon

Mark

Thank you for your feedback My preferences would be to stick with the Mac, after years of PC problems, they have been far more reliable. My younger brother has OSX,W7 and Ubuntu running on a PC laptop, likewise a good friend who is a Mac fanatic, apparently it works up to 10.68 at least ?

regards

simon

Now that is interesting! My understanding was that the hardware check prevented it. I wonder how they did it? Can you ask?

• Hash Fellow

If you have a 64-bit PC you can have 32 and 64 installed and use either as needed with one license, but you will need separate Mac and PC licenses.

64 bit does render faster unless you have some situation where 64 bit just doesn't run right on your PC as mentioned above.

64 bit doesn't have Quicktime. You render to something else and convert it later if you need QuickTime.

There are a few old plugins not available for 64-bit and a few more not available for Mac.

If you have a 64-bit PC you can have 32 and 64 installed and use either as needed with one license, but you will need separate Mac and PC licenses.

64 bit does render faster unless you have some situation where 64 bit just doesn't run right on your PC as mentioned above.

64 bit doesn't have Quicktime. You render to something else and convert it later if you need QuickTime.

There are a few old plugins not available for 64-bit and a few more not available for Mac.

Robert

Thank you for your feedback. If I do go down this route, I would probably be using it to render out while I got on with other things, so the render time improvements are the main interest. I wouldn't be trying to run AM on both platforms of the same machine, probably get a year licence for the Imac at the same time. Still al up in the air really.

regards

simon

A:M 64 bit is (quite a bit) faster than A:M 32 bit in terms of rendering.

Since there is only 32bit for Macs, Macs render slower than Windows computers with the 64bit version on them.

The rendering speed for 32bit versions is more or less the same on both platforms.

There are a few more troubles on 64bit, but I am not sure if there are really that many more. Some users seem to run into much more trouble than I do.

I think it may have to do with other 3d-software on the computers which is interfering with A:M or something like that. I am not sure.

While both version are valid and at the same part, I think that 64bit version of A:M will be more activily developed than 32bit versions.

(I think the Mac-folks will get their own 64bit version sooner or later but it is quite hard to get it going for Steffen, as I understand it)

64bit version has no Quicktime-export and no Direct3d-Mode anymore. (as a Macler you never had Direct3d though).

Not having Quicktime right in A:M is not a bigger problem, since you can convert the AVIs anyway aftwards and you should anyway try to render to image sequences anyway and put them together in Quicktime or FCE or some other filmeditor-programm.

In long terms I would suggest to use 64bit-version of A:M, but you can of course use both versions next to each other... like that you dont have to make this decision now.

See you

*Fuchur*

In long terms I would suggest to use 64bit-version of A:M, but you can of course use both versions next to each other... like that you dont have to make this decision now.

See you

*Fuchur*

Gerald

Thank you for your feedback. Its all stuff to chew over. 64 bit does seem to be the way to go for rendering, especially with the very simple things I do. Having got used to overnight renders they may be better quality in the same time with 64 bit....

regards

simon

Now that is interesting! My understanding was that the hardware check prevented it. I wonder how they did it? Can you ask?

Mark

I thought I had replied but, if you send me an E mail on PFG@tesco.net, I will send on any info I get.

regards

simon

Thanks Simon, will do.