Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Wireless mouse recommendations?

Roger

• *A:M User*

Anyone have a recommendation for a wireless mouse for use with AM? Something with additional buttons that can be bound to specific functions (not just your plain-jane 2 or 3 button mouse necessarily). Other input devices you find useful would be interesting as well.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

My complaint with the one wireless mouse i tried was that it slept itself too often and I had to jiggle it to wake it up.

I like the (wired) Microsoft Intellimouse with an extra button on each side.

Intellimouse

I like it because the drivers let you program the side buttons to do something specific for each app rather than all apps having to live with one setting.

In A:M I program the left side to do R for the rotate manipulator and the right side to hit "End" for Play. I found i was using those two a lot when i'm polishing animation and it was faster than reaching for the keyboard shortcut.

Not a huge fan of trackballs, I'll have to give the intellimouse a look. I prefer wireless, since I tend to have problems with the cable getting in the way. However if the problem with the mouse going to sleep is that big a deal I may stick with wired.

In looking at the 5 button intellimice, I stumbled across some 9, 15 and 25 button mice by other manufacturers. Can you see any advantage to having that many buttons, or would that be too fiddly?

• Hash Fellow

I've not tried anything with more buttons. I don't know if I'd be able to navigate them by touch or not. If I couldn't it wouldn't be any better than having to reach for the keyboard.

ebay often has cheap used intellimouses

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p20...0&_from=R40

I saw a couple "gaming" mice that had a dozen or more buttons. I don't think I'd be able to use them without looking. They were also pretty expensive.

I'm not opposed to a deal, but I hate using ebay since they went to Paypal only. Can't stand Paypal.

All you mousers really can't live without is those cool looking pads....

Trackball , less space required..I can use my laptop while reclining ...

& less stress on the wrist and arm .....

& minimal movement required by fingers and thumb.when set up correctly.

& recommended by physical therapists. at least the 3 I have been to....

even with all that, I want one I can track with my eyes

All you mousers really can't live without is those cool looking pads....

Trackball , less space required..I can use my laptop while reclining ...

& less stress on the wrist and arm .....

& minimal movement required by fingers and thumb.when set up correctly.

& recommended by physical therapists. at least the 3 I have been to....

even with all that, I want one I can track with my eyes

But you have to like trackballs and my experience is, that you are less fast with them (which is logical since you just have a finger to move instead a whole arm-length) and that if you just increase the mouse-speed / way it will go with one turn you are less precise. There is nothing that beats a mouse (no touchscreen, no trackball, no 3d mouse) in all circumstances... the mouse and a good keyboard are the best all rounders available... I assume that it will be possible to learn those other devices better and like that increase work speed, but the "a arm is longer than a finger" just remains true.

And in general: I dont recommend wireless mouses if you dont have a very good reason for it. (like having to use the mouse meters away from your monitor)

I did a few tests with them but in the end the batteries were empty when it was most important to have a mouse... something which can not happen with a wired one and the second problem: If it is wired you cant take in somewhere and just forget were you took it too. And even a mouse that falls from the table is more unlikely with a good wired one, because if it falls it still hangs on the cable... (yes, I am stupid ;) )

This is very subjective and of course only my experience... some people may be very happy with a trackball or a wireless mouse... I am not.

See you

*Fuchur*

I love my Logitech G700. It is wireless (and wired when charging), has a lot of extra buttons which I have assigned to various shortcuts and is very ergonomical. The only drawback is that it runs out of battery pretty fast, but then you just have to attach the charging cable, which makes it an wired mouse while charging

• Hash Fellow

Time for the mouse vs. trackball flame war!

For me the mouse is more like moving the cursor with my hand. It's more like drawing and it's worked for me since 1984.

I do have the mouse driver distance setting near its max so that I can cover just about the width of the two monitors with my wrist and fingers, I rarely have to pick it up and reset it to keep going left or right.

I've met people who are in near agony from this or that mouse syndrome but I can't figure out what they are doing different. Maybe they didn't play the trombone for 12 years before hand.