Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Drag model to model window not allowed?

sb4

Just a workflow question -- it seems you can't drag a model from the library into a model window to work on it. Instead, you must "open" the model. Then I presume use "save as" to make a copy if you don't want to affect the original, or if the original is from the CD.

-SB

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Just a workflow question -- it seems you can't drag a model from the library into a model window to work on it. Instead, you must "open" the model. Then I presume use "save as" to make a copy if you don't want to affect the original, or if the original is from the CD.

-SB

I believe that is the intended functionality.

You can drag a model from the library into a chor. I think you can also drag it into the objects folder and double click on it there to open it i a model window.

I never use the Library. I open models from where they are stored on my hard drive, much in the same way that all other files in all other programs are managed.

-SB

At least in my version (17.0) I can drag it into a modelling-window.

See you

*Fuchur*

• Admin

There are a lot of things you can do here but... there is good reason to collect your models in a Chor versus in a Model. One is that you want to maintain Bones and such in their correct locations with the proper naming.

If you feel you must drag and drop a Model into another Model you can do that (at least you can in current version) via the Project Workspace and you should be able to in a Modeling window in current versions also. As a test here's what you might be able to do in earlier versions if you can't otherwise copy/paste or drag/drap from Model window to Model window:

Create 2 (empty) Models.

In the first, lathe a simple shape

Now in the PWS tree drag the first Model into the second Model.

Drag it a few more times.

Opening and inspecting the second Model will reveal the first Model has been copied several times into the second.

The down side of this method is that the model will be placed at the 0,0,0 coordinate so after dragging and dropping you'll need to go into the second model and move things around appropriately. (Note: There is probably a method to offset where the model gets placed but I haven't experimented with draggin/dropping back and forth between modeling windows enough to know. There have also been some copy/paste methodologies that have been updated in recent releases as well that I haven't explored)

A better place to combine Models would be in an Action or a Choreography.

In an Action the subsequent Models that are dragged/dropped in maintain become instance of the first.

The model will be located at the mouse's position upon dragging/dropping.

I find this methodology particularly useful for dragging/dropping in Lights.

The benefit to using an Action is that you can then subsequently drag/drop the Action onto a Model in the Chor and it will magically add these Action Objects to any Model you apply the Action to.

Doing something similar as the above in a Chor is even more powerful because the Chor was specificially designed as a collection place for multiple models, constraints and actions. By dragging and dropping everything into a Chor and then Exporting out as a new Model you can quickly create very complex models with Bones, constraints and... well... anything that you can drag and drop into a Chor or onto the shortcuts within the Chor.

Note that in order to open a model (say from a Library) it doesn't have to be dragged/dropped anywhere. It can also be double clicked.

Similarly, a model that is on your desktop (outside of A:M) can simply be dragged/dropped into a window in A:M.

The Libraries primary give the user a means to preview the Model before opening.

Those with good memories and organizational skills may find the operating system is 'library' enough for their purposes.

One of the benefits of A:M is that there are many ways that we can establish workflow. (i.e. workflow can be highly personalized)

The hierarchical and compartmental nature of A:M helps us create, leverage fully optimize that workflow.

While there is considerable benefit to be found in the tried and true methodologies it can be useful to occasionally experiment and explore new/other methods too. The underlying principle that drives drag/drop that is fundamental to A:M is resource reusage. We can leverage this principle best when we establish shortcuts that point back to the original resource. Then when we update the original we automagically update the shortcut. When we use an Action or Chor as a means to build/modify we gain considerable advantage over dealing with only the original sources. After all, there is a reason we call these assets... re-sources. :)

• Admin

That was a lot of text to lay down so let me summarize:

The downside to dragging/dropping a Model into another Model is that the location/orientation is controlled by the original Model whose origin is located at coordinates 0,0,0. (Example: Dragging/Dropping the same Model into a new Model multiple times will result in that same Model being created multiple times in the same location.)

The benefit to dragging/dropping Models into an Action or Chor is that the location can be more finely controlled.

For instance, a Model dragged/dropped into an Action will be located at the mouse's cursor.

A difference (i.e. further benefit) to be found in dragging/dropping Models into a Chor is that raytracing can be used to drag/drop Models onto the surface of other Models. Note that this is the default behavior of drag/drop in a Chor and is also what allows us to drag/drop characters/objects onto paths in order for those paths to automatically direct a motion.

• Admin

I'll add more fodder to the fire and suggest this also...

One reason you might want to use Models dragged into Models over other methodologies (which are generally preferred) is that applying Model to Model will only replicate the geometry whereas in an Action or Chor you'll also be replicating Constraints and Bones.

Therefore... a very quick way to create complex geometry/meshes out of simple geometry... without any Bones or Constraints... would be to continually drag/drop premade models from your Library (or the PWS) into another new/empty/ready-and-waiting Model.

Disclaimer: As this is not an optimum method for modeling only basic/simple models should be used. Dragging/dropping complex Models into other Models will have you staring at the Desktop wondering what happened. (If the method was used more often it might be worthy of a report)

That's useful workflow advice, thanks.

I appreciate these tips, especially since my general Windows GUI habits don't always work in A:M and I get "stuck" very often. I can see it will take time to learn the techniques one-by-one until I can efficiently do things. I'm trying to learn from the "A Complete Guide" book and tutorials, but so often I vaguely recall a technique but can't remember where to look it up. So thanks for all the help.

-SB

• Admin
so often I vaguely recall a technique but can't remember where to look it up.

That's one of the great things about this forum.

Whereas one person... perhaps even many or most... may forget, it is a very rare occasion indeed when everyone forgets. :)