Hash, Inc. Forums

CP weights

This may a "How long is a pice of string " questions but,

Is there a table or list that suggests appropriate weights to be given to CP's, using the 2008 rig ?

What I mean by that, is given a standard joint like a wrist, what type of percentage spread would go across the forearm, hand and fan bone ?

I've tried to work through it, but with very limited success, and need to address the problem again.

regards

simon

I think Mark S. would have the right answer about those sort of things.

I think it partly depends on how you go about weighting your character. I tend to grab big areas of influence and then weight the intersections. I know some folks do the auto assign and then fix things that don't work right.

here's a thread where I did some testing for different weighting solutions for something like an elbow, knee, shoulder, or any joint that has 3 spline rings, where 2 bones meet at the pivot place

Take a look at the QT mov in that thread to see how the joint bends based on each solution. It's all about what you prefer it to look like. And testing it in an action while you do your weighting.

My preference is for simple, obvious: The middle spline is weighted 50-50 between the 2 bones (eg bicep, forearm), and the outer splines are weighted 25-75 depending on which side of the middle it is. EG 25 forearm, 75 bicep for spline nearest shoulder, and 75 forearm, 25 bicep for spline ring nearest wrist.

Also Holmes wrote another wonderful tut on weighting located here

• *A:M User*
This may a "How long is a pice of string " questions but,

Is there a table or list that suggests appropriate weights to be given to CP's, using the 2008 rig ?

What I mean by that, is given a standard joint like a wrist, what type of percentage spread would go across the forearm, hand and fan bone ?

I've tried to work through it, but with very limited success, and need to address the problem again.

regards

simon

:D

That is definitely one of those "it depends" questions.

I start 50/50 and then if it doesn't look right, try changing it.

The threads that Nancy references are really good, too.

What everyone else here has said !

Have a modeling window and action window open and just keep plugging away at it. And be prepared to make spline alterations to the model if it helps gets you closer to the desired movement.

No table that i know of. Or is there?

If you can show an example of your undesired result it will be easier to make suggestions

Robert

Thank you for your reply.

I'm using the 2008 rig.

This id the basic hip set up from a front view.

Hips_setup.jpg

This is a render of that in a pose

Hips.jpg

This is the same pose and view, as a wireframe,

Wire_Hips.jpg

I'm about to read through Nancy's illustrations and Holmes tutorials but, any starters would be very welcome.

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow

This would be my first gambit. After i did this and tested it I woudl make changes but this woudl be my first guess is i were trying to make a smooth bend.

In the diagram the fraction refer to percentage weights between the "pelvis" (I'm guessing what that bone is called in the 2008 rig) and the leg bone.

However, I would seriously consider putting the origin of the leg bones higher in the hips (green X). That woudl be more anatomically appropriate and and easier to weight convincingly. (A different set of weights than I have marked here for the existing placement).

simonweights.png

This is one of those "Personnal Preference" topics. It's a matter of finding a solution that works for you. I tend to use the auto assign function and then I open up an action window and pose the character in the most extreme poses I can think of. I usually start with the knees, and fix those. Then I do the elbows and wrists. I do these first because they are the easiest to work on. Then I tackle the shoulders which takes a while. Then I do the pelvic area and work my way up the spine.

This is my usual train of thought.

Hey Nancy! Nice work with those links!

This would be my first gambit. After i did this and tested it I woudl make changes but this woudl be my first guess is i were trying to make a smooth bend.

In the diagram the fraction refer to percentage weights between the "pelvis" (I'm guessing what that bone is called in the 2008 rig) and the leg bone.

However, I would seriously consider putting the origin of the leg bones higher in the hips (green X). That woudl be more anatomically appropriate and and easier to weight convincingly. (A different set of weights than I have marked here for the existing placement).

Robert

Thank you very much for that. I shall try to implement it tomorrow. I wondered about the bone placing but my knowledge of anatomy is not good ( they had stopped teaching it when I went to art school ).

Thank you

regards

simon