Hash, Inc. Forums

Mystery Channels

Simon Edmondson

Have had difficulties with mystery channels appearing in the PWS ( I hope I'm using the right word with channels ? ) and the rotate handles on bones suddenly growing very large but never known what might be the cause.

Yesterday morning, I went through all the models in the chor and deleted the oddities then worked on the walk of one of the figures, having hid the other models. In the evening I unhid the others and prepared to render it out, only to find that the mystery channels had reappeared, along with the elongated roll handles. I've circled both in this screen grab.

Mystery_Channels.png

The problem seemed to come about when the models were group selected in the PWS and reactivated under properties.

Has anybody else had this problem ?

regards

simon

OSX 10.68 V15J

• Hash Fellow

It has been seen before, that is an old bug in v15. Here's some discussion...

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...=Bone++Position

However the cause was not what I thought it was...

The problem has nothing to do with copy/paste . The problem is Save/Save As with multiple selected objects .

As a workaround

Be sure that there is only one object selected in the pws , before You do a Save/Save As operation .

Another issue will also be solved in 16.0a . When You paste with other filters than "Key Model" the project is not marked as modified , so Save isn't possible .

The problem has nothing to do with copy/paste . The problem is Save/Save As with multiple selected objects .

As a workaround

Be sure that there is only one object selected in the pws , before You do a Save/Save As operation .

Another issue will also be solved in 16.0a . When You paste with other filters than "Key Model" the project is not marked as modified , so Save isn't possible .

Robert

Thank you for your reply and impressive video.

I'm not sure the problem is quite as you suggest, in occuring when save/save as was used? I will have to try to watch for that in future. It seemed to happen when I did cmd/ select to group a multiple, then activate/deactivate in the PWS. ?

I'm hoping to upgrade to V17 in March, so that should avoid it anyway.

On an upgrade question. This might seem odd but, I understand that 64bit only works with Windows at the moment, and that is a lot faster at render time than 32 bit ?

I prefer OSX to windows but, if I had a dual boot machine with Windows and OSX installed on it, would that require a multiple purchase of AM or would a single purchase cover the requirements ? It would be good to be able to model and animate under OSX but gain the speed advantage of 64 bit.

I apologise if that is not an appropriate question. I'm just musing before the upgrade.

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow

If you can document a set of specific steps that cause the problem and are not the steps that caused in my problem, i coudl try that in v17 to see if thre is some variation of the problem that still exists.

But the work-around that I quoted from Steffen should work for you?

If you can document a set of specific steps that cause the problem and are not the steps that caused in my problem, i coudl try that in v17 to see if thre is some variation of the problem that still exists.

But the work-around that I quoted from Steffen should work for you?

Robert

There is a render going through at the moment so I can't check straight away. Will do so later on. Thank you for your help.

regards

simon

As a workaround

Robert

Thank you for your reply and impressive video.

I'm not sure the problem is quite as you suggest, in occuring when save/save as was used? I will have to try to watch for that in future. It seemed to happen when I did cmd/ select to group a multiple, then activate/deactivate in the PWS. ?

I'm hoping to upgrade to V17 in March, so that should avoid it anyway.

On an upgrade question. This might seem odd but, I understand that 64bit only works with Windows at the moment, and that is a lot faster at render time than 32 bit ?

I prefer OSX to windows but, if I had a dual boot machine with Windows and OSX installed on it, would that require a multiple purchase of AM or would a single purchase cover the requirements ? It would be good to be able to model and animate under OSX but gain the speed advantage of 64 bit.

I apologise if that is not an appropriate question. I'm just musing before the upgrade.

regards

simon

Hi Simon,

As to you joining us all here in v17, fear not! While its true Mac A:M is, and at the moment as I understand it can only be 32bit, v16 and the current v17 are much faster than v15 was at rendering.

I suspect there really is not much, if any, significant difference between Windows or Mac render speeds now.

For me the only thing I would like from the Windows version is the FastAO plugin. But I think a Mac version of that might be out of Steffen's hands as he didn't create it.

But the major thing you will get for speeding up rendering if you have multiple CPUs and/or other computers, will be Netrender! :yay:

Hi Simon,

As to you joining us all here in v17, fear not! While its true Mac A:M is, and at the moment as I understand it can only be 32bit, v16 and the current v17 are much faster than v15 was at rendering.

I suspect there really is not much, if any, significant difference between Windows or Mac render speeds now.

For me the only thing I would like from the Windows version is the FastAO plugin. But I think a Mac version of that might be out of Steffen's hands as he didn't create it.

But the major thing you will get for speeding up rendering if you have multiple CPUs and/or other computers, will be Netrender! :yay:

Mark

Thank you for your feedback.

I did have net render quite some time back ( several years !) but had trouble getting it to work at that time. I look forward to the increased render speeds of V17 but, my working method now is to animate till about 21:00 then let it render overnight while I work out what to do next ( maybe !!!). I will invest in net render at a later date though, when I get the "Charlie's Birthday" project sorted out.

regards

simon

The problem is Save/Save As with multiple selected objects .

As a workaround

I have confirmed for myself that I get the bad channels after I do a save (with multiple models selected) in 15j+ PC. It does NOT happen in 16b (haven't tried in 17).

However, the bad channels show up only when I bring the saved project back into A:M.