Hash, Inc. Forums

swinosaur clip from "Miss Cast Away"

zandoriastudios

thats so cool.. I like the guy looking back.. when there was nothing really there! ..

btw.. would it be possible to make his turning more smooth.. like with this legs actually twisting and maybe a little more facial movement- and of course, some way to make his huge feet make in imprinting in the sand?

I hate to be such a critic.. but.. so far its totally awesome! B)

How long did it take?

The thing that looks weird to me when I saw it is when the leash gets to its max. lenght and pushes the swinosaurus back. He just doesn't have enough impulse there to the thrown away that much, it feels more like he slows down and then something pushes him forward.. it would look better if it was speeding up and was going a LOT faster then the leash pushes him... there's also a little bit of feet sliding when he goes towards the camera, but that could be because he's sliding a little bit in the sand... :)

Other than that, really great work there... :D

http://www.zandoria.com/castaway/X188C.mov

This is a small clip from some of the VFX shots I'm working on for Miss Cast Away

The water splash is an A:M spriticle, the shot was put together in aftereffects.

What stage of animation is this? I am asking because of a couple of things I observed in the animation that I could comment on. If it is an animatic, then the comments would be premature. if it is close to finish, then I would say:

1) the feet seem to be sliding on the ground

2) there should be some weight transfers as he moves from leg to leg. he is pretty darn big;-)

pappy

I think it looks great, save for some previously mentioned tweaks.

One thing that I think makes the fall look unrealistic is that when he reaches the end of his rope, his momentum should continue at the same rate or slightly slower. It seems as though he speeds up.

and on another note...

This may be out of the scope of the scene, but as I watched it frame-by-frame it occurred to me how cool it would look if after the swinosaur fell, the massive tails swings by just missing the guy as he runs by. This would give a great sense of size and power.

Tim

Looking at it again I noticed something else...

As it is now the rope is on the front lower part of his neck. This would most likely cause his head to be pulled down and his body would do more of a somersault or at least swing the opposite direction since the rope is on his right side (which, incidentally, he passes right through)

If the action was slowed down and the rope was moved to the back of his neck and to the other side of his body, I think the "fall" would look pretty good. Of course that's the "easy" way to fix it. Since the rope seems to be coming from below his neck and somewhere on shore it's probably where it should be. (under his neck, right side)

Anyway, I hope that's helpful.

Geez, William, I hate to nitpick, especially since the live action stuff has already been filmed, but the swinosaur gets to his feet WAY too fast after he's jerked down by the cable. Big animals have a lot of inertia to overcome, so they usually flail their legs to get moving again.

You may also want to add some exaggerated camera-shake when the big guy hits, which adds a little film-realism to the shot. Either a viewer (the audience) or the camera would feel the vibration when something that big hits the ground.

But what do I know...I've only had AM for a month, and am still loudly cursing the Hash folks for the sketchy documentation... :(

Great work William. I think the Swino should have his mouth open, in anticipation of a tasty snack. Also, Swino isn't looking directly at the snack as he approaches. He seems to be looking offscreen, a little. If he turned his head as he snapped at the guy, just before being snapped back by the leash, it would be more threatening.

I also agree with most of the other comments, as well. This is going to be very nice when you're finished. The client should be pleased.

Mike Hart

I have to agree with the rest of the posts ,I also noticed that the chain/rope goes behind the rt front arm just before hes yanked and that if you step through it you will notice in mid air the chain completely disappears.

I think it is one heck of a good job and when finished it will be hot !

Mike

• 2 weeks later...