Hash, Inc. Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

markw

Merg & Purge Decals Crashing A:M

Could someone tell me when and how to use Merge & Purge Decals?

I ask as every time I try it A:M crashes. I know its worked in the past but it's a while since I last used it and I want to rule out me trying to use it incorrectly somehow now.

If its a bug I'll report it.

Hey Mark,

Can you describe the model you are using with Merge/Purge?

Without further information I will assume the following:

One model with multiple decals.

There is a Merge and Purge Groups... but I think that is different than what you are describing?

Merge and Purge Groups plugin

Thanks Rodney, I will have to do some more prodding and poking I think on some simple test models.

I have used merge & purge decals - but not frequently.

IIRC it works best after doing a lot of copy/paste with parts of model that have been decaled. I haven't tried it recently in 17, but I'm pretty sure it worked last time I used it in 16b (PC, 32).

Perhaps try saving model after copy/pasting, then reopening A:M, and then doing merge decals. Perhaps might work better? ie not crash.

OR do it right away, after saving model of course, without restarting A:M.

I have used merge & purge decals - but not frequently.

IIRC it works best after doing a lot of copy/paste with parts of model that have been decaled. I haven't tried it recently in 17, but I'm pretty sure it worked last time I used it in 16b (PC, 32).

Perhaps try saving model after copy/pasting, then reopening A:M, and then doing merge decals. Perhaps might work better? ie not crash.

OR do it right away, after saving model of course, without restarting A:M.

Thanks for the suggestions Nancy, will give them a try later. In the meantime here's a short vid of what I'm doing, see what you think. I'm using v17f in this but v17e was the same.

Note that the Finder window that pops up during this, asking for the path to the Thom decal before completing the C/F/A is a bug already reported to Steffen.

Also attached here is the consolidated project file used in the vid if any want to play with that.

DecalTest.mp4

Copy_PastTest17f.zip

Note that the Finder window that pops up during this, asking for the path to the Thom decal before completing the C/F/A is a bug already reported to Steffen.

Also attached here is the consolidated project file used in the vid if any want to play with that.

I have never used it with a copy/flip/attach - only with copy paste

I just tried a simple case in 16b-32 PC. Merge/perge/murge/purge decals works for copying and pasting decaled patches. HOWEVER, CFA is a different story:

I suspect the problem is related to the way CFA creates the new decal container. A 2nd, new container showed up for me, but the newly created patches were not decaled.

AND I was able to use the merge wizard for the decal containers. And as expected, 1 decal container remained which had 2 stamps. But still the new patches did not have any decal showing.

Perhaps it is related to the fact that in my case, the patches with the decal shared the center spline?

EDIT: I also tried in 15j+ - same behavior as above.

Thanks again Nancy but even doing a simple Copy/Past and then trying to purge decals results in a crash here, it may be a Mac thing?

Anyway I've put in an A:M report to Steffen now, see what he makes of it.