Hash, Inc. Forums

Animation Contest

Ilidrake

Careful consideration has been given after listening to everyone who posted here and below are the rules for this contest. I hope the 2 month deadline is enough for everyone who wants to get involved. And in case you are wondering to yourself, "Why pirates?". Everything is cooler with pirates.

THEME: A Pirate's Life

Any sort of animation that tells the story of a pirate. Any sound clip can be used if necessary, but is not required. We are mainly judging character acting, animation, and story.

Deadlines: May 1st - Movies must be uploaded by Midnight est.

RULES:

•All modeling and animation must be done in A:M(after all this contest is sponsored by them )

•Compositing can be done in another program but why, when you can do it in A:M as well.

•Final Movie must be in Quicktime movie using Sorenson 3 rendered no bigger than 640x480

•No explicit material, as these entries will be viewed by many people of all ages.

•If participating, please post in this thread

•WIPs and crits are allowed and welcomed. If doing this, then post in the WIP section and put AM Mini Movie entry title. This is not mandatory.

•Use of premade characters and actions are allowed. It's more about the animation and story in my opinion.

•Must tell a story

Not less than 5 seconds, no longer than one minute.

•Live action is allowed although there must also be animation composited with it.

•HAVE FUN!!

If you have questions, feel free to post or pm me.

Now go forth and animate everyone.

Good luck to all.

Prizes being offered:

HASH has been gracious enough to offer the following...

1st place - 100 dollar hash.com gift card

2nd place - 75 dollar hash.com gift card

3rd place - 50 dollar hash.com gift card

The first place winner will also win a copy of:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Animators-Surviv...rvival+handbook

To recieve the gift cards we will need the winner's email address, but not until the winners are announced.

Where to upload finished files? The address is as follows:

"ftp://ftp.hash.com/incoming/apirateslife/"

Simpy open My Computer on your system and type the address above in. After that it's as simple as dragin & droppin your finished file. Please be sure that your movie is 100% before uploading it. If you have a Mac then you will need an ftp program. There are many free ones on the web and you should have no problems getting one.

• Admin
Badically I am waiting on word back from Hash as to how I can pay for the 1st prize for the winner.

One option would be the Hash Certificates.

Those can be purchased in any denomination. I've used them before and they work quite well. :)

Back when we ran the Newbies raffle... I just purchased A:M directly for the winners.

Note: If this is related to your 'Woke Up Dead' project it may be best to place it there.

For the record I'm not so much interested in length as I am the acting choices the audio clip will provide. I will attempt to keep it as short as possible. I'm simply trying to stir up a bit of interest in using AM for what it was intended. Animation. We will see I guess.

• *A:M User*
Hey Roger it's just something to do. Win or lose I think it's something the community needs to encourage more animation with this amazing software.

No, I understand, I'm not really concerned so much with winning as I am stretching my abilities with a short project.

• Admin
Robcat, Rodney, quick question. How goes the best way for us to review and vote on segments entered?

If Hash Inc is on board then they can probably use their voting mechanisms. Jason would have to weigh in on that.

You would have to consider Jason's schedule and there would be some lead time to consider on that methodology.

Of course we can test out some other options.

For instance, I believe the Polling system of the forum itself could be used to get a single vote from everyone who logs in and votes in the forum.

We could set up voting to be one per person, multivotes... or even both (i.e. over all popularity via vote as often as you want and/or one vote only).

Google now as a pretty sweet Survey system going and perhaps it could be set up for voting.

I'll be glad to investigate the forum and Google options.

The benefit to Hash Inc's system is that it is a weighted vote (i.e. a voter can choose three favorites and then the system keeps track of the over all tally of the votes) I suspect that to a degree the forum's polling system can also do that.

• Admin

I understand the desire to add sound to animation.

It's a good idea to animate to some kind of beat or phrasing.

Perhaps it doesn't have to be dialogue or anything that requires strict sync?

Heck if you just had a continuous Sheppard's tone all of the entries would be able to be stitched together.

DunDun DunDun DunDun DunDun DunDun DunDun etc. (continually escalating or deescalating).

A couple versions with different tempos could be released to allow for suspenseful... humorous... lively... etc.

Seriously though... a boring metronome beat would be better than silence.

The beat could then be disgarded if not needed.

Attached: Sheppards Tone kinda-sorta (Example only):

shepherdswav.wav

I might be able to come up with something but sometimes I find requirements like "use this sound clip" makes it a slower process for me ..... a free for all lets sone free their minds .... and lowers stress.......

FWIW... IMHO...smile...

regardless I like seeing these and miss the Hash contests but understand there were not enough contestants....

• Admin

I just read the rules of engagment and it looks like you've covered the bases.

Sounds awesome!

I shall endeavor to enter an animation myself. :)

Aside: There is one small typo that may cause some confusion:

•No less than 5 seconds, no longer than a minutes

I believe you mean to say:

•Not less than 5 seconds, no longer than one minute.

Not sure here.

Rendering to QT. For those of us with 64bit versions of AM on Windows and no access to rendering to QT what options do we have? I can render to AVI and then get QT Pro to generate an H264 movie (but no option for Sorensen)...

Cheers

Hmmm, Can I install and activate both 32bit and 64bit versions of AM on the same Laptop with the same activation code or do I need to pay for a new subscription?

EDIT: Answered my own question - Yes.

EDIT 2: OK so I can render to QT but I have no Sorensen option.

EDIT 3: Found it inside QT - enable legacy codecs.

Cheers

Just seems a bit floaty from one word to the next. His mouth slowly closes and perhaps it needs to be quicker during the long pauses. It could just be me. I would definitly have his mouth a bit more snappy with that dialogue but again, it could just be me.

First cut - lip synch only for comment. Wow - it's been a while...

Cheers

I've got to say it moved me -- awesome! Loved it. I thought the mouth action was consistent enough with Depps slurry diction.

-SB

I´m working the jacket in this character, I was thinking to do an animation only with two characters this is one of them...there are a lot of work to come modeling the weapons, hat, sword, a ship of course the second character, rigging them...uff...anyway I hope to have time to complete the project I´m thinking to do :huh:

(Mod: Attachment Converted because BMP images cannot be viewed directly online)

post-1010-1363712116_thumb.png

If anyone is in need of a flint lock pistol for this competition then I should have one ready and available within a day or so (modeled on this). Well I am somewhat rusty with my modeling skills but this should do at a pinch.... (there will be a few DST files missing - got them all from the SO data)

Cheers

Flint_lock_pistol.jpg

FL_Pistol.mdl

Pistol0.jpg

If anyone is in need of a flint lock pistol for this competition then I should have one ready and available within a day or so (modeled on this). Well I am somewhat rusty with my modeling skills but this should do at a pinch.... (there will be a few DST files missing - got them all from the SO data)

Cheers

Hi higginsdj, just what I need , I need modeling only two more, like this reference image...thanks for share.. :)

post-628-1364256820_thumb.jpg