Hash, Inc. Forums

AM 11.1 and Vista display probs

sb4

(I tried to post this in archive forum to not bother up-to-date users, but forum is readonly.)

To any other AM 11 / Windows Vista users:

I'm having display problems where the screen doesn't seem to refresh, or partially draws with my Windows Vista Compaq laptop.

Particularly, when only one A:M window is open (say, chor or modeling) the background grid does not fully draw. Having two windows open magically makes the grid draw fully in both windows.

In a Model window, I'll switch to "shaded" mode and a patch won't render. If I tweak a control point, suddenly it might render.

Sometimes while drawing a spline, parts don't draw while making it.

Some sort of display driver compat issue probably. I've checked for latest updates, and I actually have a later version than the one available for download.

I tried running A:M in WinXP SP2 compat mode, and it crashes on startup (after mostly displaying the GUI).

Just wondering if anyone saw this and found some workarounds.

-SB

Try turning off "aero" in your windows settings, or in your compatibility settings try turning off "desktop composite" (?)

Thanks for the good ideas. Turning those off did not affect the initial window grid dropout, but maybe will help in other parts of the program and generally improve stability.

-SB

• Hash Fellow

We always ask "have you updated your graphics card drivers?"

And what sort of a graphics card does that laptop have?

I have occasionally run V11.1 on my Win7 computer with NVidia graphics without any noticeable problem.

We always ask "have you updated your graphics card drivers?"

And what sort of a graphics card does that laptop have?

I have occasionally run V11.1 on my Win7 computer with NVidia graphics without any noticeable problem.

I believe it has the "Intel 965 Express Chipset".

I have not been able to find a driver later than the one currently installed.

Video Chipset: Mobile Intel 965 Express

Video Bios: 1533

Driver: 7.14.10.1437

Graphics Mode: 1440x900 True Color 60Hz

Generic PnP Monitor - DDC2 Protocol supported, Gamma 2.20

I have tried other resolutions and color depths, same problem.

I tried a few different OpenGL settings, same problem. I've turned off Aero and Desktop Composite.

I noticed if the current open window is in "non-maximized" mode and I open another in non-maximized mode, I get the same problem -- resizing the window larger than the default size fails to draw the grid in the expanded area. Shrinking the window however succeeds in correct repainting of the grid over the entire window. In contrast, opening two maximized windows achieves a fully painted grid.

It's peculiar. I'll try to live with it, although the other effects such as intermittent shading and line drawing may make working on my laptop prohibitive, which would be a shame <_ .>

-SB