Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

export plugins -- handy?

sb4

I just noticed under my A:M 11.1i File | Plugins I have an Export category with three items, including:

Poly Model

3D Studio

These look like they give A:M some interoperability with other programs. Have these proved to be useful?

-SB

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

the poly and avatar are Hash formats so they wont' get you much in the outside world.

3DS is a standard format, although most 3ds models are poor candidates for import to A:M because they tend to be triangles, not quads

in v17 we now have added

.X

.dxf

.obj

.lwo

.stl

If you can afford it, definitely upgrade to 17. The obj import for props is really nice. Import of stl and obj work really well for tracing over the models (retopo), allowing you to recreate models from outside of AM into AM animatable splines. The stl exporter works very well for 3d printing.

For myself I use the prop import for rendering out conceptiual designs for my customers that were created in cad programs. OBJ files retain the material assignments from outside of AM.

If you can afford it, definitely upgrade to 17. The obj import for props is really nice. Import of stl and obj work really well for tracing over the models (retopo), allowing you to recreate models from outside of AM into AM animatable splines. The stl exporter works very well for 3d printing.

For myself I use the prop import for rendering out conceptiual designs for my customers that were created in cad programs. OBJ files retain the material assignments from outside of AM.

Ok, thanks.

the poly and avatar are Hash formats so they wont' get you much in the outside world.

3DS is a standard format, although most 3ds models are poor candidates for import to A:M because they tend to be triangles, not quads

in v17 we now have added

.X

.dxf

.obj

.lwo

.stl

What would those poly and avatar Hash exports be used for?

-SB

• Admin
What would those poly and avatar Hash exports be used for?

I've always thought that A:M secretly used those formats internally for some things but I'd be hard pressed to prove that.

Example: A:M models are converted to polygons for realtime display (as most graphics cards are optimized for polys instead of splines. My theory is that the PLY format is (or was) used for that conversion internally. Similarly, the .AV2 format can be used for quickly manipulating splines. A:M would just have to account for five point patches in the process.

I use the AV2 format to combine sequences of animated models into a new master model (I posted on this process recently). Something that might take hours then becomes doable in a few minutes. (As mentioned before... I just have to watch out for 5 point patches because they tend to get lost in the conversion).

So in the end they are basic equivalents for their technology (AV2 for splines and PLY for polys).

Note: I am not suggesting that A:M requires these two plugins, only that the capability has been exposed via the plugins so that we can use that functionality as well.

• Hash Fellow

There was a time when some sort of virtual character interaction MMPRPG web-world was envisioned that would use A:M's data-light spline technology. I think that was what the "avatar" format was for.

Possibly it also had something to do with that game studio in Utah?

• Hash Fellow

I don't know the original use of the PLY format but I have used it when i wanted to get a denser version of a mesh. Saved in PLY with 16x subdivisions checked, then imported that back into a new model.

I did that when making some pants for a cloth test.

I don't know the original use of the PLY format but I have used it when i wanted to get a denser version of a mesh. Saved in PLY with 16x subdivisions checked, then imported that back into a new model.

I did that when making some pants for a cloth test.

That sounds useful, actually. The other tips too.

Thanks to all,

-SB

PLY is a polygon model file developed by Stanford University. Triangulation in a ply would be the same as 3ds or stl files but there are slight differences in the ply that are out there that cause some compatibility problems. PLY files can handle larger polygon counts than a 3ds.

For the most part obj files are the most supported when hopping between programs because of their texture handling, ability to support triangles and quads. This is the format you may find the most useful. Keep in mind the MTL file generated from an obj is only necessary when there are textures and or materials assigned.

Stl files are primarily used in the 3d printing industry and support only triangles and do not support textures. Most 3d scanners will produce a a point cloud or stl file. You can use the stl to trace over in AM or take your creation from AM and print it out on a Makerbot or other 3d printer.

• 5 months later...