Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

v11.1 nitpick (alien boxers/render animation)

sb4

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

This is just a nitpick, but:

(Using A:M 11.1i)

I noticed during rendering there is a small animation of a couple of aliens "boxing" during the rendering.

Is there a way to disable that animation?

-SB

You could put a Post-It® over it! B)

No, it can't be disabled. In later versions there are several animations that rotate.

This is just a nitpick, but:

(Using A:M 11.1i)

I noticed during rendering there is a small animation of a couple of aliens "boxing" during the rendering.

Is there a way to disable that animation?

-SB

You could put a Post-It® over it! B)

No, it can't be disabled. In later versions there are several animations that rotate.

I suspect the justifications for these CPU wasters (unless they are purely done in the video card itself) is that they use idle CPU cycles during disk I/O.

However, if they do use idle CPU cycles, it's no joking matter. I have serious overheating problems in the summer with my dual Xeon machine when rendering video. If the room temp is just above a certain level, the CPU heat alarm goes off during sustained 100% usage. In other words, any idle cycles represent precious cooling time. I've had problems with video cards overheating too. For anyone with an overclocked CPU, extra important.

Also, it simply drives up your power bill to have your CPU pegged at 100% when it doesn't have to be.

I wish software developers would quit the cute stuff or make it optional. It can matter.

But I doubt they're listening! :lol:

-SB

I wish software developers would quit the cute stuff or make it optional. It can matter.

But I doubt they're listening! :lol:

-SB

You can put in an A:M Report on it...see if Steffen thinks it's an issue that needs to be taken care of. Of course, it won't be in an older version, but might show up in a current version.

• Hash Fellow

The CPU overhead for flipping thru the frames of that animation will be microscopic.

Consider that the A:M forum has multiple simultaneous animated GIFs scrolling across the top and that doesn't load my CPU even 1% of its capacity.

This sounds like a hardware problem. I would check if the heat sinks are still properly attached to the processors and the fans are working. Also check to see if dust build up is blocking air flow.

Xeons are generally used in heavy usage applications such as servers. If properly heat sunk, they should operate in any room temperature you would be willing to sit in the room.

I agree with Robert, the processor overhead for the cartoon is trivial.

• Admin

There is a good reason for the animation... it let's you know the renderer is still working even if the rest of the bells and whistles (frame render data) appears to be stalled.

But I doubt they're listening!

I can assure you they listen.

Of course, that doesn't guarantee a change will occur. As Robert mentioned... there are usually higher priorities.

One thing I can guarantee though... v11's rendering animation won't change. That you can count on.

Put in a feature request and you just might see the option to turn it off in v18.

• Hash Fellow

It's been so long since I've used any other 3D program I'm not sure what they even do to let you know they are still working.

After Effects just has a progress bar and a frame counter which has fooled me on several occasions.

Xeons are generally used in heavy usage applications such as servers. If properly heat sunk, they should operate in any room temperature you would be willing to sit in the room.

You'd be surprised at the temperatures I'll endure! (I'm that cheap).

:lol:

I agree with Robert, the processor overhead for the cartoon is trivial.

That's reassuring anyway -- if the duty cycle is truly tiny, I'm at peace... (although I still want every cycle I can lay my hands on...)

(BTW: I did eventually hack a hole in the side of my computer box and mount another fan, which I think has made a difference.)

-SB

It's been so long since I've used any other 3D program I'm not sure what they even do to let you know they are still working.

After Effects just has a progress bar and a frame counter which has fooled me on several occasions.

A:M render has a frame counter and two progress bars also, which is plenty for me. The animation is cool of course and shows the spirit of the Hash vision.

I guess I'd still like the option to halt the animation, which would seem trivial to implement, so I'll throw it into the ring if I get a chance, in case the developers have a moment to add that garnish.

But glad to know the consensus is that there is no serious CPU or video card hit from those animations.

Regards,

-SB

A:M render has a frame counter and two progress bars also, which is plenty for me. The animation is cool of course and shows the spirit of the Hash vision.

I guess I'd still like the option to halt the animation, which would seem trivial to implement, so I'll throw it into the ring if I get a chance, in case the developers have a moment to add that garnish.

But glad to know the consensus is that there is no serious CPU or video card hit from those animations.

Regards,

-SB

If you are rendering with your computer that will REALLY not make ANY difference... if your computer runs hot it will not be because of that animation but because of the rendering itself.

I doubt that you will have problems anyway, since you very likely have a multi-core computer which will not be used by A:M 11.1.

See you

*Fuchur*

I remember this subject (the rendering in-progress animation) came-up back when Martin was a daily fixture here on the forum(aka 'the good ole days...) When asked if the animation could optionally be removed or replaced with a users OWN animation, his reply went along the lines of: 'Yes, program your own 3D software and you can put whatever you want up there!"

I would think, with the developers SDK and an experienced programmer, a utility/plug-in could be written that overwrites the installed animation. A lot of work for little gain.

SPEAKING OF THIS tho, it might be good to have an animation contest where the winner(s) get their own little loop included in a later release of A:M... would be up to Steffen, as he is the one who would do the work of switching it out. It would be cool to see one of Paul Forwood's works included as a tribute to a great A:M user who recently passed-on.

I don't remember V11.1 but with later versions you can yield more machine cycles by minimizing the AM window while you render. You save a couple of seconds per frame with the minimized window if you leave it alone. It might even be because the cartoon stops running, no way to know. These savings are small compared to the render time improvements you get by upgrading to a newer version.

If you are rendering with your computer that will REALLY not make ANY difference... if your computer runs hot it will not be because of that animation but because of the rendering itself.

I doubt that you will have problems anyway, since you very likely have a multi-core computer which will not be used by A:M 11.1.See you

*Fuchur*

Actually, I can start two instances of A:M and have each rendering part of a project. CPU goes to 100% nicely.

(and then I have two pesky alien matches going... :) )

-SB

I don't remember V11.1 but with later versions you can yield more machine cycles by minimizing the AM window while you render. You save a couple of seconds per frame with the minimized window if you leave it alone. It might even be because the cartoon stops running, no way to know. These savings are small compared to the render time improvements you get by upgrading to a newer version.

Good tip though, thanks.

Hopefully I'll get off the ground to the point where I need the upgrade and improved render speed.

For now, the ability to pop A:M into any machine is great for shoehorning in some learning wherever I am.

-SB