Hash, Inc. Forums

Hello again! For the umpteenth time!

seancwall

Hi everyone! I've been an A:M user on and off over many years and was even briefly involved in the Scarecrow of Oz project. I recently watched the TWO DVD and really enjoyed it. It inspired me to pick up A:M again. I might even get through all the exercises in the AoA:M manual this time. :rolleyes:

Nice to see you all again!

-Sean

Hi everyone! I've been an A:M user on and off over many years and was even briefly involved in the Scarecrow of Oz project. I recently watched the TWO DVD and really enjoyed it. It inspired me to pick up A:M again. I might even get through all the exercises in the AoA:M manual this time. :rolleyes:

-Sean

Hey! I'm taking another crack too, although you're ahead of me. I started with A:M 2004 (Orangutan) and I'm sticking with the 11.1i Sorcerez upgrade for now. I've had many false starts over the years. So I'm a dinosaur, but I think the tools are far more than enough for me, since I'm going to dial back my ambitions and go for animation and storytelling rather than modeling (even if it means KeeKat, Knight, and Rabbit will be my leading actors! :lol: ). We'll see, life has a way of intervening...

So I'll be interested in what you tackle and any progress you make.

Regards,

-SB

hey fellows--welcome back. It does seem like folks like to return to AM ---it has that effect on you. BTW -- in my experience having been a come back person myself the latest versions of AM are so much a better experience than the older ones---so if you have any thoughts of upgrading --just do it ---you will not regret the increase in fun factor.

rich

hey fellows--welcome back. It does seem like folks like to return to AM ---it has that effect on you. BTW -- in my experience having been a come back person myself the latest versions of AM are so much a better experience than the older ones---so if you have any thoughts of upgrading --just do it ---you will not regret the increase in fun factor.

rich

Tell us some more about how the new versions are a better experience / more fun. Also if it requires more computer power / resources.

Regards,

-SB

-Sean

What do you think you'd like to accomplish this time with A:M?

-SB

rich

Tell us some more about how the new versions are a better experience / more fun. Also if it requires more computer power / resources.

Regards,

-SB

I started with v13 (I think) which wasn't great for stability but now v17 is very stable.

Forum help with trouble shooting will be easier with a more current version.

Much faster render times now.

Netrender. If you have more than one CPU core or indeed more than one computer you can connect to, V17 and up comes with Netrender for free which can dramatically cut down render times!

Snap To Surface Tool in v17 for modeling. Basically it allows you to load a poly model as a 3D rotascope to model over.

And there's more but this is what sprang to mind first ;)

As for computer specs; Having masses of RAM is not greatly important. I'v typically used only 1GB maybe 2GB at most. A:M just isn't that hungry for it. A fast CPU though is always, always a good thing to have!