Hash, Inc. Forums

Technical questions regarding geometry

Heiner

Hi there,

i continue with my questions:

If i understand it right, in V17 i can load .OBJ, and remodell them with the snap to surface function, right?

How complex can the .OBJs be?

Next question:

Even in polygonland, a quad is now the best thing to have. I learned to model with quads only, and where you use a 5 pointer

in AM, you have five quads coming together. My question: Is there another way to make such a region appear smooth other than using

the porcelain material?

Best regards,

Heiner

• Hash Fellow
If i understand it right, in V17 i can load .OBJ, and remodell them with the snap to surface function, right?

Yes. Understand that it's not an automatic process... you have to decide where to draw the splines.

How complex can the .OBJs be?

Since you won't need the actual poly mesh, you can import them as "Prop" which is quite fast for large models. I'm sure there must be an upper practical limit. Let us know when you find it! :)

Even in polygonland, a quad is now the best thing to have. I learned to model with quads only, and where you use a 5 pointer

in AM, you have five quads coming together. My question: Is there another way to make such a region appear smooth other than using

the porcelain material?

I don't use porcelain anymore.

5-pointers are best when they are fat and flat. Fairly regular side lengths and fairly little surface curvature There are usually several options for the exact placement of a 5-pointer in a mesh so you can avoid using them in problem areas and make 4-pointers do most of the work. There is a bit of strategery to it.

Also, the flaws in 5-pointers typically aren't visible once a texture is on the model.

Is there another way to make such a region appear smooth other than using

the porcelain material?

I never used porcelain material.

The secret is to understand how splines works, to minimize its curvature. Modeling is an art as well as sculpture. Sometimes I used detach cps then attach them again or create more cps...may sound crazy but you need to "feel" the way that splines are behaving in the model, a soft model is based on that.

Just made me feet wet with a first try of remodelling a imported OBJ which leads me to more questions:

Can i do the reconstruction with a propertie obj too?

Can i lock my original modell (the OBJ), so that i do not end up every once in a while with CPs merging with the CPs

of the imported OBJ?

Regards,

Heiner