Hash, Inc. Forums

hair dynamics

Interesting approach to futzing with the hair guides. Looks like a lotta work.

NEAT Serg!

I would think it would be possible to add a new properties to the hair material to allow for curls and wavy hair and still be able to groom the hair without losing its shape, just like kinkiness.

I've used a variety of image based hair emitters (with Y repeat), in combo with kinkiness settings, shape (thickness hair profile) to get a curly-q type look (may be too stylized for you). I also combine it with decal driven color for more variation in the strands.

depending on how stiff you set it, it will lose some of the grooming

I set use gravity = OFF for dynamic constraint, Rod = on, and I find it will return to the groomed look (stiffness = whatever you want).

The first image shows different examples for the image used for the hair emitter (same hair material, with changes for image for emitter and image used for color decal). The hair emitter image may have repeat settings (5-10 in Y). I only have 2 cps for the hair guides so the dynamics is probably too stiff in the movie.

emitterdecalcombos.jpg

PinkYarnCurlyHair.jpg

dynamich264.mov

That works really well ,nicesly done model aswell .How do you mean change the hold ,did you alter the hair in the grooming ,while in a pose ? John

Hi Steve, thanks! Trying to remember... I don't even know where that model is today- been so long(2006?) I'm quite sure that I groomed the hair in the model and then made a new pose (1-100%) where the stiffness changed from 75% to zero... and animated that pose in the choreography. When I posted it back then it gathered absolutely no interest, I remember that.

but the model don,t compare to the one you posted

Who says? Your constant rate of improvement is also impressive. A test I was going to make next (If I find time) would be to make a hairstyle that utilizes the new hair (like you have here) and the OLD hair as discussed in that other thread... maybe you (or someone) will beat me to it...