Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Shadows only Renders

I have a print out explaining the working process of using Shadows only renders, unfortunately I can't get to it because of the weather ( four inches of snow prohibit access to the shed were I know it to be ). Could somebody direct me to an explanation of the process as it is sometime since I tried to use it and am more than a little rusty about it.

regards

simon

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Robert

Thank you. That got me the info I needed.

The printout was actually from the tech people at hash about 5 years ago (?) when they sent me a page that explained it. I'll see if I canget it in a couple of days then post the link.

regards

simon

I found the print out used in the past. Followed the instructions but had a problem.

So I did a little test, following the same instructions and it worked.

Box_Composite0.jpg

I went back to the Boo scene and It still would not work.

This is the scene as it should be, notice how the blue figure is casting a shadow on the ground.

S4_000.jpg

However, when I go the route of shadow buffers, this is the result, no shadow from the blue figure on the ground.

DV_composite0.jpg

I'm plainly missing something ( possibly between the ears ). Does anyone have any ideas as to what it might be ?

The originals were rendered as TGA files with Alpha but have been converted to jpg for the forum.

regards

simon

Box_Composite0.jpg

S4_000.jpg

DV_composite0.jpg

The top one is the result you want? That doesn't look like a shadows only render. I'm confused.

Robert

Thank you for your reply.

The top one was the test to make sure I had the process right. It is the composite resulting from a shadows only render.

The middle one is the visual result I want. Because I want render the red figure separately with motion blur, then composite the blue figure over it to get the contrast in speed between the two.

The Bottom image is the result when the same process is followed as with the box. However the Blue figure's shadow is missing from the ground.

There is a klieg shining on the blue from in front but, it is on a light list and set to not cast shadows.

The only other light source is the one casting the strong shadows and that is off screen on the left.

simon

• Hash Fellow

First I think you want to reconsider the lighting. The figures are so dark I had to study it to figure out what is character and what is shadow. It is so dark i can't make sense of it.

I don't understand the shot either. She stands up to avoid him? But he is going over her so why would she want to stand?

The middle one is the visual result I want. Because I want render the red figure separately with motion blur, then composite the blue figure over it to get the contrast in speed between the two.

If she is moving less per frame her motion blur is going to be less anyway. I'm not sure i understand the intended result.