Hash, Inc. Forums

Creating Locks of Hair (Braided, Kinki, Twisty, etc.)

• Admin

(Split this off another topic so as not to hijack that thread)

The trick... to old style Locks of Hair... is to apply the Material to a single spline that drives the hair.

Note: I am only assuming this still works in current versions of A:M.

Will have to test to be sure. Still works!

Here's a basic write up on the process:

Locks_of_Hair_Project.pdf

It should be mentioned here that this style of hair is created by making a new material and holding the shift key while specifying 'hair'. It has a different way of being controlled (the grooming tools will not work on this hair) and collision-detection is not an option. Muhair will work on it tho...

collision-detection is not an option. Muhair will work on it tho...

Muhair? perhaps you meant matcap? I could not find how to do muhair with shag - but MATCAP works fah-boooo-lus with this old shag hair.

As for collision: could have the shaghair spline attached to bones, that had a dynamic constraint that has collision detection turned on.

2densepoint1thickMatcapshag.jpg

Wasn't there a way to use a decal to shape the hair ?

Hmmm...not with the OLD shag hair as far as I know. With the "NEWer" hair..yes, of course.

IMO, real hair (not shag) is more easily managed, groomed, colored, shaped, etc. Way more possibilities. But it's interesting to see what the old Shag hair can do.

Here's quick test of OLD shag material on 4 different splines, twisted around each other, boned, Matcapped, & bones are dynamic constrainted. I don't know why the ends of the shag hair are blown out (spec was OFF). I left the density, thickness low, to shorten render times. I'm guessing the twitchy stuff in there is probably because I used only 4 cps/spline?

vgashagbraidbone2h264loop.mov

Okay, I am trying to add dynamics to the hair-lock by extruding the spline that it is on and adding a stiff cloth property to it... but I FORGET how to attach the cloth mass to the head(sphere) mass- what's the trick again?

I am not a clothy expert - but I think the way to make the hair stay attached at head is to exclude the topmost cp (or spline ring) from your cloth group? (see page 8 of Holmes tutorial pdf on Cloth). And I believe the cloth group must all be assigned to the same bone?

I like this approach for getting the collision detection - sounds promising!

A couple 'mystery settings' that don't seem to have effect are force, preroll, dynamics, length, stiffness, clumpiness...

Yeah they are a mystery, probably worked with older versions of A:M?. Length seems to work if the shag material is dragged to a group (with patches), and the length had been changed from default in the original material. Then it seems you can change the length in the instance. Don't quote me as to it working 100%.

Matcaps... I hadn't even thought of trying that!

I wouldn't have thought of trying it either until Matt suggested muhair would work (but doesn't for me in 16b). I still like new hair better, but this makes some new-to-me possibilities for old shaghair.

but is the leoperd queen by Jim Talbot using shag ,that has images for the hair somehow

You had me curious, so I dug the project up. And holy guacamoley! Yes a decal does drive the length property for the barbarians loincloth - and apparently one can use a decal to drive other properties as well, similar to new hair. I changed it to drive diffuse color. Surprisingly, the leopard doesn't use shag hair for fur, just a decal.

decaldrivenshag.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

Here's a question I've always wondered... Is it possible to turn hair into a model? Say, if you wanted to print the model in 3D?

Not that I know of, since both of these hair methods are particle based. You can bake the newer hair- but that does not create geometry.

• 2 weeks later...
To use a decal to drive the old hair, add the decal and change the map type to "other". right click on the properties driven to add a property and you can control all the shag parameters

This is great stuff for us older version users (V11.1i).

(It would be great if there were a way filter these threads for topics that still apply to older versions -- don't know how to do that easily (unless each post had a min version tag somehow connected to it).)

-SB