Hash, Inc. Forums

the floppy pendulum

robcat2075

Well done! Lots of good insight in there (eg, all curves are the same at beginning, use of the rotate manipulator, copy/paste of multiple bones/keyframes at once, lag, overlap, translating curves in curve editor).

Might be interesting at some point to contrast the resultant motion with a dynamic constraint, and playing with the settings.

• Hash Fellow
Would there be a way to do something similar with a constraint?

Certainly you could get something similar with a dynamic constraint

The real goal of an exercise like this is to further the student's understanding of what you can do in the curve editor to control the motion of things.

Most things can't be animated with automatic physics but most keyframe animation can assisted with knowledgeable curve editing.

• Hash Fellow
On a project I'm doing I may need to use this ..a boat model with swaying objects..just to figure out which way might work best.

for trappings on a boat, I think dynamic constraints would be easier.

I went ahead and tried the dynamic constraint route for myself to see the resultant curves. The simulation produces more variation than a hand done one. I found I had to fiddle with the constraint settings to get something that looks fluid (made stiffness = 10%, drag = 20%, use gravity = OFF). Here's resultant baked curves of bone1, 2, 3, with a movie of the motion and the baked project. It is also harder to tweak/modify the resultant curves from a simulation. But it is possible.

tailtestsNULLbakedembed.prj

DynamicTail10stiff20dragNoGravityCurves2.jpg

taildynamiclow2twiceh264loop.mov