Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Some newbie question regarding modeling

dyrwoolf

Hi,

Im doing the face tutorial. I have a problem som of my "polygons" sometimes get a strange from, sometimes only on one of the points. Ive tried to fix it with the bezier handles but it dont work. Is there some relax tool i can use?

And while modeling, ive seen that i canuse 5 pointed polys but should i stay away from 3 sided? It seam like them give me alot of trouble.

What do i do wrong when this happens?

wrongpoint.png

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

Im doing the face tutorial. I have a problem som of my "polygons" sometimes get a strange from, sometimes only on one of the points. Ive tried to fix it with the bezier handles but it dont work. Is there some relax tool i can use?

And while modeling, ive seen that i canuse 5 pointed polys but should i stay away from 3 sided? It seam like them give me alot of trouble.

What do i do wrong when this happens?

wrongpoint.png

This is called a spline-continuity-problem / flow-problem. To get this working, see the two attached images.

The "Small-Solution" (Image 1) will solve your particular problem, but it will very likely result in another problem.

The "Best-Solution" (Image 2) should solve the whole problem.

In your image you can see, that the splines are not connected to their straight neighbour.

Because of that I showed you the better spline-continuity with the colors. (green and purple)

But this is still a problem. There are certain rules to splines, patches and control-points.

One of the more important once is, that there should never be more than 2 splines running through one controlpoint.

If you use the "small-solution" (Image 1) you will run into that problem at the corner of the eye. There will be 3 splines running through this particular controlpoint. It will result in a hard edge somewhere.

In the best solution (Image 2) you can see that I am using a 5-point-patch to solve that problem with the 3 splines running through one controlpoint. This is a solution which is very common if you need to connect a "round" structure (a spline-ring like you used it around the eye) with a square-one (the splines around the ring which are running in a rectangled grid. (see image 3))

To correct this first break the splines you've got there (select a spline and hit k), do the same with

the second one and reconnect the splines as shown in the image (image 1 or 2)

This is just additional informations on modelling and does have nothing to do with your image. But it is very good to know this:

Additional to that I used a hook in the best solution (Image 2)... this may or may not be needed here... but you can learn like that when to use a hook and when to use a 5-point-patch. Both can be used to decrease the resolution in a certain area. A hook however should always be used in such a situation as shown on the next image (Image 4), never to conect round structures with rectangle once.

3-Point-Patches are only to be used in very rare situations... in general you should work without them. The rule is: Use as many 4-point-patches as possible, a few 5-pointers if needed and only very few 3-pointers.

There are situations in which 3 pointers behave very well, but in general, try to work without them. In the last image (image 5) you can see a situation where a 3-point-patch can be okay to be used.

Hope I could help you.

See you

*Fuchur*

PS: I used straight lines here, but in reality you should get curves out of that if you use it right. It was just harder for me to paint curves...

small_solution.jpg

best_solution.jpg

circle_to_rectangle_structure.jpg

hook_structure.jpg

3point_patch.jpg

Thank You so mutch Fuchur for your fast and rigorus answer.

You really seams like a Rock in these forums. You always answer and You give really good answers.

;) Thank you. I'll try too keep it that way although I think u r confusing me with robert or rodney ;).

See you

*Fuchur*