Hash, Inc. Forums

Codec problems

dyrwoolf

Hi,

I try to render but when i do it says :

Avistreamsetformaterror, most lile caused by a codec compresssor that does not support 24 bit data.

I know I have a lot of codes installed, but do i have to install codec into A:M? Or does anyone know what this can be?

I could render the scen as tga images but not as avis.

Another question is if there is some additional download I should do? I cant find the same assets as i se in the tutorial movies.

• Admin

Regarding the downloadable resources...

We'll have to clean up the links a bit as these have gotten lost.

Look for some refreshment of the New Users forum area in 2013... it's long over due.

The basic data/resources can be found on the Hash Inc FTP site for downloading:

ftp://ftp.hash.com/pub/misc/Data.zip (this is a 158MB zip file containing all the basic files used in tutorials and the Libraries.

For the real basic assets used in the tutorials you could just download those (but I recommend the full Data file as it has more fun stuff to explore. It's in the same FTP folder as above but is called LittleData.zip:

ftp://ftp.hash.com/pub/misc/LittleData.zip (This is a 7.5MB download containing the TaoA:M tutorial resources)

Regarding rendering... it's almost always (95 percent of the time) a good idea to render to sequential images.

You can then convert that sequence to other formats via A:M's Save As Animation feature (Right Click on the images folder in the Project Workspace).

The primary reason to render to individual images is that it doesn't require as much computer memory and if something goes wrong (you lose power for instance) you won't have to rerender everything but only those images that did not get rendered properly.

When rendering to AVI/MOV it's usually best to render to uncompressed and then compress them later with a decent codec. (You can do this with A:M but it will tend to be faster with programs that are designed for optimizing that specifically. Quicktime Pro is a good example of such a program.

I believe there is a problem with rendering to avi's in A:M in recent versions (just tried in ver17a 32 PC, and 16b-32) and using ANY compression codec. Set the format to uncompressed if you want an avi, and compress it using something else. And yes it's better to render to a sequence of stills instead, in most cases, unless you are just testing. Use jpgs, pngs, tgas (the best).

I use QT pro (ver 7 something). fast, easy. But not sure it's still available?

Edited by NancyGormezano

I believe there is a problem with rendering to avi's in A:M in recent versions (just tried in ver17a 32 PC) and using ANY compression codec. Set the format to uncompressed if you want an avi, and compress it using something else. And yes it's better to render to a sequence of stills instead, in most cases, unless you are just testing. Use jpgs, pngs, tgas (the best).

...or EXR, if you are using more advanced techniques later on it.

See you

*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

The only AVI compression supported by 64-bit A:M is, ironically, "uncompressed" (file will be huge)

32-bit A:M can also do "Cinepac" AVI

Quicktime has many better choices but 64-bit A:M doesn't have Quicktime.