Hash, Inc. Forums
Rodney

Torque 3D (Open Source Gaming Engine)

I haven't seen any mention of Torque 3D going Open Source here so am posting this here.

Gargage Games made the Torque 3D gaming engine open source in September.

I don't know anything about the specs and requirements for usage but those who use A:M for gaming will be able to determine that I'm sure.

http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/22074

There is more info to be had via the announcement, which includes the rationale for why Garage Games is pushing Torque 3D to open source:

http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/21876

Unrelated: I note there was a link also to a procedural modeling application that creates odd models/shapes (could be useful for importing OBJ files). The program is called Fugu and works on PC and Mac: http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~cema/fugu/

There is a Gallery of some models created with the application HERE.

It is based on the dynamically typed scripting language Lua

There is a Torque-Exporter for A:M.

It can be found on my website.

See you

*Fuchur*

It went open source, because in times of unity 4 its outdated.

You can start there for free also .

It went open source, because in times of unity 4 its outdated.

You can start there for free also .

I am not sure if Unity3d is that much better than Torque quality-vise (have a look at the images... not bad at all).

I'd say they are both at an more or less equal level (or at least not that much apart from each other).

You need to know some c++ for using Torque, so that may be a drawback, but all in all I will have a look at this too.

One thing that could make it better is, that I dont see limiting factors like realtimeshadows not being available in the free version as it is with Unity. (at least when I last checked)

A bad thing is of course, that you can only distribute to Windows and Browsers so... mobile publishing would be a good thing to add.

See you

*Fuchur*

Every now/again you guys get me thinking about learning this stuff... this thread led me to go take another look at Unity, which led me to THIS (Learn Unity in 10 minutes.)

http://primerlabs.com/unity101

This might be a cool thing for US to have for A:M... Learn A:M in 10 minutes!

This might be a cool thing for US to have for A:M... Learn A:M in 10 minutes!

Heck, we could do the 'make Dragon' button as 'Learn A:M in 10 seconds'. :)

Steps:

1. Put Dragon from Extra DVD into A:M Library as Model

2. Drag and Drop Dragon from Library Model's tab into Choreography

(Special Alternative Method: Double Click on Dragon in Library and watch him magically appear as a Model)

3. Animate that puppy.

(Special Alternative Cool Tip: Drag and drop an Action from the Library Actions tab onto the Dragon)

Step 1 could even be automated by us.

Wonder if that includes any of the plug ins for various platforms such as smart phones and consoles etc.? They always seemed to have some of the fairest licensing out of the majority of game engines.

Just downloaded Fugu, pretty cool way of making useless blobby things, Thanks!

Wonder if that includes any of the plug ins for various platforms such as smart phones and consoles etc.? They always seemed to have some of the fairest licensing out of the majority of game engines.

Just downloaded Fugu, pretty cool way of making useless blobby things, Thanks!

Unity3d for smart phones is not included... you'll have to pay for that...

And it is getting expensive there... 400 Dollars for iOS, additional 400 Dollars for Android. This is only if you use the free version...

If you want to use Unity3d Pro (for instance if you need realtime shadows, light probes, etc.) you have to pay 1500 Dollars for Unity Pro and the plugins for iOS and Android are each additional 1500 Dollars...

To get the full feature-set of Unity3d you need to put about 4500 Dollars on the table... there are other options available which are less expensive... like GameStudio for instance or may be Torque now...

Unity is still a good deal, especially since it is heavily under develoment and has really some very nice features... but if you need the pro version, there may be better options.

See you

*Fuchur*

Interesting, I haven't done any game content development in over a decade. Back then I used Max with Renderware and they were theives to say the least. I remember the team looked at one of the more popular game engines and they wanted 250k + 14% for a semi unrestricted license for the year. It is nice to see a more open environment for developers that give easier access to the small guys.

With electronic distribution it seems much much easier for the little guys to get something out on the market and not get hemmed in with purchasing shelf space or getting blocked out by the big publishers.

Does anyone know of a forum where (wannabee)3D artists can meet-up with (wannabee)game programmers....?

Unreal never contacted any of us on licensing, odd even after many tries. ID was the one with ridiculous licensing.

I did do some mods for the Unreal Tournament prior to them teaming up with Maya. The crew used 3ds max, Milkshape and a few other programs.

There seems to be a ton of ready made content for the Torque engine such as mouse and camera scripts etc. That would really speed things up for the small groups looking to produce a game in less than a decade.

After driving home from work I noticed an office building with the name Garage Games on it. It is right next to the condo's I'm living in. I guess they are the creators of Torque(?). Maybe I will stop in and have a look. :)

has anyone used Torque to make anything with A:M? if so please contact me i have Questions!

I think they use the direct x exporter and Ultimate Unwrap to port to Torque and Unity, not sure all the details on that.

I think they use the direct x exporter and Ultimate Unwrap to port to Torque and Unity, not sure all the details on that.

Actually there is an own torque exporter on my website but i have to admit that i never used it.

It was developed by someone else and i am only hostimg it now.

See u

*Fuchur*