Hash, Inc. Forums

Can't add new constraint to model

Visping

I am struggling to learn about constraints.

I want to make eye bones aim at a null target, but I have two problems:

1. How should I do to add a constraint to a bone? I can only add a constraint in choreography. But as I want the constraint to be saved with the model I don't think this is the way to go. The reference guide explains features of different constraints but don't say how to add a constraint...

So the question is: How do I add a constraint to a bone that will be saved with my model?

2. When adding an Aim at-constraint to the eye bone in choreography mode it will not work unless I move the Eye bone from the head in the bone hierarchy. The bone wouldn't Aim at my target but the scale to reach worked....

• Hash Fellow

Welcome to A:M!

1. How should I do to add a constraint to a bone? I can only add a constraint in choreography. But as I want the constraint to be saved with the model...

in the model window RMB and do New>Pose>On/Off

in this Pose you can create new constraints and the Pose is saved as part of the model.

2. When adding an Aim at-constraint to the eye bone in choreography mode it will not work unless I move the Eye bone from the head in the bone hierarchy. The bone wouldn't Aim at my target but the scale to reach worked....

First... after you select the Aim at Constraint turn OFF the Compensate Mode Button :compensate:

See if that solves your problem.

Welcome to A:M!

1. How should I do to add a constraint to a bone? I can only add a constraint in choreography. But as I want the constraint to be saved with the model...

in the model window RMB and do New>Pose>On/Off

in this Pose you can create new constraints and the Pose is saved as part of the model.

First... after you select the Aim at Constraint turn OFF the Compensate Mode Button :compensate:

See if that solves your problem.

1. Now I understand that all constraints in a model must be contained in poses

2. I couldn't find any button for Compensate mode....

But when looking for a property that is controlled by that button, I found out that the LockOffsets must be turned ON. It was OFF in my case and that made it not work...

Both my problems are solved!

Thank you very much.

These advises are gold woth for a rookie like me :lol:

Stefan