Hash, Inc. Forums

Weapons

I got the model thing working I just had to star over didn't take but a few hours.

I got a connect the top to bottom part of the gun and, tweak it just a tad and add texture to it.

I got the patches down to 570 on this one. lot lower then the other one.

Glock_9mm_3.png Glock_9mm_4.png

Next one may be a sawed off shot gun I need to finishes.

After looking at it itjustme was right it needed to be beveled so I look on A:M sight and found a good example of itjustme beveling model and used that on the 9mm It look a lot better and the patch count was down to 774. I not gonna use it in a game but in a still I'm working on. I need to tweak just a tad and then texture it after that it's done..

Thank you itjustme for putting the example up on the sight they help me out a lot.

Glock_9mm_5.png Glock_9mm_6.png Glock_9mm_7.png

It's looking better. There are still areas that could use beveling and there are a few dead-end splines you could get rid of by either having those splines go all the way around the top of the gun or by ending in hooks...I would just go all the way around. Those dead-ended splines will give you some irregularities when you render. I marked up what I could see in the image, but every edge would look better with a bevel on it.

Hope that helps.

Glock_9mm_7_markup.png

• Admin

At the risk of... whatever.... I'll add the following suggestion.

While I know this is for a still I think you'll want to make the slide a separate piece of the weapon in order to:

1. Make it look more realistic. (Having it as a separate piece would also make it easier to bevel)

2. Make it functional in the primary place the weapon would be seen to function (the other would be be the trigger and the hammer)

I recall my drawings of weapons before I became a firearms instructor looked like solid chunks of metal that had no internal working parts. While I don't tend to make my weaponry completely functional and real I do try to hint at something underneath the exterior that would be able to send a bullet down range. Having the slide appear to be a separate part, even if it isn't can achieve that sense of realism.

Looking good thus far! :)

Edit: It occurs to me that you may be heading in the direction of a separate slide already because of the 'dangling splines' that David (itsjustme) Simmons was talking about...

Here's an image of a glock with the slide locked back to the rear:

glockopen.jpg