Hash, Inc. Forums

(Solved) Trouble mirroring Steve's Hand Gizmo

Mechadelphia

Ok. I'm stumped. :huh:

I've been looking at Steve's Hand Gizmo and I think that it is pretty nice.

So I decided that I would incorporate it (the first version) into one of my rigs.

The first thing that I realized that I needed to do was to rename all of the bones to a "Left and Right" naming scheme so that I could use the Mirror Bone plugin to mirror the set up easily in my rig.

So I renamed the bones (plus a little extra naming clean up) and I think that I have all of the bones named exactly as its mirrored Left/ Right counterpart. The setup works fine in the file that I have attached named "steves_hand_gizmo (renamed to left and right).mdl" while using it in an Action window.

But if I delete all of the bones for the left or right side and then use the Mirror Bone plugin, the bones mirror just fine but the relationships no longer work correctly for all of the bones. The most notable error is that the CFingers Right/ Left functionality is inverted on the mirrored side in an Action window.

I have also attached "steves_hand_gizmo (only right side bones).mdl" if you care to try this and see for yourself what I am talking about.

My guess is that I either renamed some of the bones incorrectly or that the expressions that are part of the relationships may have something to to do with this (or both). I know nothing about using expressions in A:M so I am not able to troubleshoot those.

Does anyone here know what I may be doing wrong with trying to mirror this hand gizmo setup?

I'm using 17d if that matters.

Thanks.

steves_hand_gizmo__only_right_side_bones_.mdl

steves_hand_gizmo__renamed_to_left_and_right_.mdl

You need to set the rotation of "WFingersXCalc Left" bone to 179.998 in the X rotation (bone position). This bone should not be a mirror of the right side. It may be possible to change the expressions so it works with a mirrored setup.

Thank you mtpeak2 for looking at that and letting me what the issue was.

Here's a version that should work with the mirrorbone plugin.

And another thank you for putting that modified version together.

I'll download it now and put it to work.

Take care.

(Edit: And thank you for solving this so quickly!)