Hash, Inc. Forums

Porcelain

I was reading the thread in the WIP area about the Obama model and the section relating to inverted normals causing blackened sections when Porcelain was applied. It rang a bell with regards to a problem I had encountered, so I thought I would try to correct it.

Here is the model with the normals showing and, they seem to be correctly displayed ?

Normals.jpg

But this is what happens when I do a quick render.

Porcelain.jpg

Might it be caused by another factor ?

Also. The original colour was yellow and the porcelain has made it go white, over riding the original surface setting. Is that a common thing ?

regards

Simon

V15J Mac OSX 10:68

• Hash Fellow

First, I would fix the splining so that there are no dead end splines,

In the middle of the pic there s a CP that appears to have five splines coming out of it. At best, that is two splines crossing (good) plus one spline ending on that same CP. That will always be bad, porcelain or not. I suspect I see something like that where the leg joins the hip, also.

Then we could figure the porcelain out.

Interesting...

Looking at your snapshot, the normals do look correct for the area that shows black with Porcelain. But I'm less convinced about some of the other patches on the model, hard to tell but it may be spline related...

I would strongly suggest that when modelling, make sure in Tools > Options > Rendering you have Show Back Facing Polys set to OFF. As you model, the surface of any patches that are the wrong way round will not show, it will be like there are holes in the model, much easier to spot.

Screen_shot_2012_12_19_at_19.10.03.png

Interesting...

Looking at your snapshot, the normals do look correct for the area that shows black with Porcelain. But I'm less convinced about some of the other patches on the model, hard to tell but it may be spline related...

I would strongly suggest that when modelling, make sure in Tools > Options > Rendering you have Show Back Facing Polys set to OFF. As you model, the surface of any patches that are the wrong way round will not show, it will be like there are holes in the model, much easier to spot.

Mark

Thank you for your reply. I've just spent 30 mins trying to flip the normals and it seems that, when one patch goes white, the one next to it goes black and I have to start working through the whole model.

Thank you for the tip regarding the back facing poly's. I shall implement straight away.

regards

simon