Hash, Inc. Forums

Resolution info; New features in v17

Mr. Bill

Hello.

I am a previous short time user who got derailed by life 5 years ago and am just finding my way back.

I have the CD of v13 and have reloaded it on my computer. It is working fine but I have a couple of Q's:

1) Where can I find info regarding resolution; is AM capable of TV/DVD broadcast quality?

2) Where can I learn about the new features in v17, and what about additional plugins that would work in v13?

3) What, in your estimation, is some good yet not terribly expensive video editing software I can buy to assist in this process?

I have looked around a little and have yet to find any real answers to these questions. Whenever I have searched on Google or in this forum, I have been unable to narrow it down to address these. I would have to spend a lot of time to find these answers myself, so I am hoping you can direct me and save me some time.

Thanks, very much.

Mr. Bill

• Hash Fellow

Welcome back to A:M!

1) Where can I find info regarding resolution; is AM capable of TV/DVD broadcast quality?

That one is easy. AM is capable of TV/DVD broadcast quality.

For old NTSC (including DVD) you could choose the D1-NTSC preset for Resolution at render time. That renders squashed NTSC -shaped pixel. If you want to work in square pixels choose VGA

For Newfangled HD you could choose HDTV-720p or HDTV-1080p

Thanks, so much, Robcat - especially for your warm welcome back! Glad to be back. I am a little embarrassed at my question, honestly. I know I have been getting little sleep this last week or so, but no sooner had I hit the send button than I realized that I had been looking in the Render Mode setting and not the Render to File button.

Sorry about that! I KNEW I remembered seeing all that. And, yes, I have been going back through the tutorials...just blew past that little item, I guess!

I am interested in hearing what you have to say regarding my second and third questions.

Thanks.

Mr. Bill

• Hash Fellow

Here are several threads that new features get discussed in; I'm not sure we have a official list.

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?act=S...ite=%2Bfeatures

Faster, faster, faster is my favorite new feature.

On editing apps... I've not found a free one that i liked. I'm still putting stuff together in my 13 year-old version of After Effects.

Other people may have opinions on editing apps, however.

I'll have a look at the link. I used to have a program called Video Wave 3. I know I still have it, but I don't know if it can do what I want it to.

Thanks, Rob.

Bill

Here are several threads that new features get discussed in; I'm not sure we have a official list.

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?act=S...ite=%2Bfeatures

Faster, faster, faster is my favorite new feature.

On editing apps... I've not found a free one that i liked. I'm still putting stuff together in my 13 year-old version of After Effects.

Other people may have opinions on editing apps, however.

Welcome back, Mr. Bill! As Robert said, faster faster faster is the best new feature as well as increased stability overall. For 79 bucks you can't really go wrong by upgrading.

As for plugins, etc, it depends slightly on whether you're on pc or mac, but that only affects a couple of things.

• Hash Fellow

Here's a post from the Benchmarks thread with a speed comparison of v15, v16 and v17

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=365392

A:M comes with NetRender now so if you have a multi-core PC you can get rendered faster with that also.

• Admin

For video editors I've been trying to steer folks to Lightworks.

It's just released a version for Linux and the Mac version is on the way.

The code itself for the program is to be released subsequently.

The difference between the free version and the Pro version is that the Pro version supports a few more high end codecs that the free one does not.

As Lightworks is the only high end video editor on Linux it's sure to gain some support there.

http://www.lwks.com/

You do have to have a pretty decent computer but then again any high end video editor will require the same.