Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Name some extrusion objects

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

I can think of lots of basic objects that can be made with just lathing (vases, glasses, plates, wheels)

I'm trying to think of some easy things that would be made only with extrusion.

A knife, a sword... what else?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can think of lots of basic objects that can be made with just lathing (vases, glasses, plates, wheels)

A knife, a sword... what else?

A lath-object can be created with extrusion too... for instance a pencil (and of course ball-pens, etc.)

A can could be interesting, since it could be created with extrusion and at least 5-pointers for the openinn + extrusion.

An external harddrive, USB-stick or anything that is even but not round...

A DVD-case, a steal beam, a spaceship could use extrusion heavily, a computer display, an iPad, etc.

See you

*Fuchur*

I am putting emphasis on easy & only (only is debatable):

A planar wall, a box, beveled cube/box, beveled solid with an irregular (not symmetric) polygonal cross section type thingy

Springs, coils, slinky (with one of the extrusion wizards)

• Admin

I believe the classic example of extrusion may be to create the walls of a building, office, etc. from an initial drawing in a plan (top) view.

Other than that extrusion is largely a means by which the computer can create shapes via Lathing, Lofting and Duplication.

The basic example I can think of would be to demo how you can model via extrusion in both a Modeling and Chor window.

Example:

Create Model

Create Chor

Drop Model into Chor

Set Windows so that the Modeling window has a plan view (from top)

Have Chor view be through standard Camera view

Draw the plan of a house with all of it's various rooms (with Snap to Grid turned on)

Watch the house gets built in the Chor view while Modeling in the Modeling window

When the layout is sufficiently placed, extrude the splines upward in the Modeling Window (The view in the Chor window will automagically produce the rooms

Alternatively:

Extrude a roof, chimney, etc.

More complicated:

(Purpose: People like to animate walkthroughs of their creations)

Turn off Snap to Grid and draw a spline path going through the house from Top view

Constrain a Camera to the path

Create and Constrain a Null to the path and set the ease of the Null on the path to be just in from of the camera

Aim the Camera at the Null view an Aim at Constraint

Now you have a walk through of your building.

Extension of Concept:

Extrusion would also make a very nice introduction to the Duplicator Wizard, Lathing (Torus, nuts for bolts, sea shell) and Sweeper.

Using Sweeper it could be shown that extrusion can easily add detailed molding and (through duplication) objects to a room.

Drawing splines itself is a form of extrusion in that paths from Control Point to Control Point are extruded.

(Rather than post a video I'll just post a few screen grabs)

extruded_rooms.jpg

• Hash Fellow

Thanks for the ideas! I especially like the banana.

I'll tell you why I'm asking... I'm making this fast-paced video for "Spline Modeling" and it has the line in it: "Many common objects can be made entirely from lathing or extruding."

To cover that I need put up a shot of objects that are so obviously lathed or extruded that you don't have to even show them being made, the viewer sees them and goes "D'oh... I could use lathing or extruding to make things!"

I am actually working on a project for myself right now that has used extrusion heavily. I will be posting it for release soon, but here is a teaser.

All of the components are placed on the circuit board within an Action (Action Objects). Some have poses for multiple sizes.

Almost all of them used extrusion exclusively, only a few used lathing and only for the initial circle splines.

Behold! The Arduino Mega 2560!!!

untitled0.pngMega2560Tex.png

EDIT: Better render with simple texture on the main board. Working on better maps.