Hash, Inc. Forums

A Delicious Candy Bar

Hey guys!

Just re-downloaded AM after a semester of learning Max and Maya ... haha

Anyway for my illustration final I am supposed to create a delicious looking candy bar (based off of a real brand)

Here's what I have got so far.

Any CC as to how to make it more delicious looking?

PS - I know there is a little bit of clipping from the wrapper on the left side and the reflection on the bottom right is .. odd.

Hershey2.jpg

PS - I know there is a little bit of clipping from the wrapper on the left side and the reflection on the bottom right is .. odd.

A much better model than I could make so, take any comments I make with a pinch of salt,

I would suggest that you soften the highlights and perhaps round the edges a little more. At the moment the planes are a bit angular and the highlights a bit too sharp. The missing section on the main bar looks a little too jagged, its not quite the shape teeth would make, and chocolate tends to fracture in larger lines (???)

To follow Roberts suggestion, could you perhaps put a cup of coffee there to add a different colour into the picture and make the overall composition less stark? Do Hershey use a different colour wrapper at all, if so, could you use that to set up a contrast with the chocolate and any other prop you might introduce ?

regards

simon

I like the candy bar... mouth watering! I think your wrapper needs a little more work. I would buy the candy bar... unwrap it some and try to emulate more of that realism... particularly I feel I need to see the INSIDE of the paper (I imagine it is white) Maybe even work on the composition a little more, glass of milk OR stack 2 or 3 fully wrapped candy bars in there to offset the the one being eaten. Great work!

• Admin

I do like the ideas presented thus far... milk and coffee... chocolate... I'm getting that taste of chocolate just thinking about it.

The idea of milk is a powerful one that pushes taste.

To my way of thinking coffee might push that even more into the realm of taste and smell.

Compositionally, it'd be nice to have at least a third object in the image. (As suggested that could be more candybars)

That would be something to further suggest a foreground, middle ground and background. (and that would be supplied if there was a glass of milk or cup of coffee)

I'm tempted to suggest doing one of those HDRI renderings with the blurry background.

That might take more time to perfect that than you have.

The suggestions concerning the wrapping are spot on.

The packaging could use a little more work (the text seems to be moving off the edge at the bottom)

Regardless... I like!

You've made me hungry for chocolate which is saying something because I don't care to eat chocolate often.

Anything that you can do to heighten the sense of storytelling will be good.

You've got just a hint of that with the bite taken out of the chocolate.

A partial glass of milk or steaming hot coffee would point again toward the person who took a bite out of that chocolate.

What this suggests is that the person who took a bite out of the chocolate is very likely the person who is viewing the artwork.

Added: What (I think) I am suggesting is to work some form of triangulation into the image.

You might get some of that simply by changing the layout from portrait to landscape and finding a way to suggest that the background is receding as suggested by the reflection of the candy bar.

• Admin

I forgot to mention the very first thing that occurred to me so I'll add that.

It strikes me that the candy bar in the package is a bit too perfectly placed (horizontal/full front). If it were rotated ever so slightly not only might we get a view of the depth of it but it would also 'physically' support the unpackaged chocolate that is resting upon it. My thought is to rotate it clockwise about 2 to 5 degrees... with 5 probably being too much.

This would also help with that triangulation I was talking about as the perspective would then be oriented more toward the viewer/audience.

Added: The bite out of the chocolate I presume you've just whited out. It would look much better if modeled.

Using a Boolean cutter you could quickly bite that piece out. The added angle/rotation then would show the thickness of the chocolate.

I like your candy bar, and the white background with reflective surface is very striking. And yes that reflection is weird.

Not knowing who you are marketing to? - A chef? for an ingredient for cooking? or...for eating while cooking? Then maybe elements that suggest milk, coffee beans, raspberries, oranges, hazelnuts, almonds etc or other food stuffs might be appropriate.

But if you are marketing towards adults & in particular women who REALLY like chocolate (or to significant others who give chocolate as gifts): I would experiment with adding elements that do not interfere or compete with the taste experience of the chocolate, but go for heightening all the senses as well as taste. Adding story as Rodney suggests.

I would experiment with warming up the image, and I would experiment with different backgrounds and adding other elements to suggest story eg:

How does it look on reflective black? a warm brown? Piano music? On a silver or gold platter? Perhaps adding other suggestions of music, plays (eg violins, pianos, playbill), red roses, soft fire lighting, or floating candles in water, lace.

Or if marketing towards kids, or even ramping up nostalgia for the inner-kid in adults, then I would experiment with going for an ooey-gooey melt all over adults with chocolate covered faces, hands, clothes, sharing with friends in memorable situations (baseball games, at the beach) or wrestling, competing with friends for the last bite, etc

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback! I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying. The one thing about the assignment is that we are only supposed to create the candy bar and wrapper .. nothing else (Should have said that in the beginning). It's supposed to be about the pureness of making that one object as good as possible. The layout and whatnot of the rest of the ad is being done by another department.

In opposition to that I will try adding some of those things (milk, coffee, other various suggestions) to simply go beyond the assignment and attempt to make a full fledged "illustration" myself.

@Rodney: I did use PS to quickly white out the bite mark. When using a boolean cutter will it cap the gap of the splines? Does it use the boolean cutter object's faces to fill that void? I will have to experiment.

Have uploaded another revision I made before reading all of these comments

Ben

BHORVAT_CANDY_Beta2.png

• Admin
@Rodney: I did use PS to quickly white out the bite mark. When using a boolean cutter will it cap the gap of the splines? Does it use the boolean cutter object's faces to fill that void? I will have to experiment.

In a best case scenario with a closed object cutting a closed object the boolean will leave an exact surface to close that shape. So, yes it will fill the void. Better yet, if the cutting shape's bone is a child of the main object's bone (this is called a specified boolean) then the surface left will take on the color of the cutting shape. So the bitten piece could have a different color and texture than the main object, thus revealing a different inside to the shape.

Edit: I like that new rendering!

Attached is a quick example that shows the basic idea of using boolean cutters:

PoorMansChocolate.mdl

chocolatebite000.jpg