Hash, Inc. Forums

Problems opening v11 files in v17

hostler

I just downloaded and activated v17.0 subscription and the program opened and would let me draw lines, etc but when I tried to open an existing project file from a previous version (v11.0) instead of opening a file from the directory it automatically went to, the program stalled and then crashed. This is the same problem I had with v16.0 last year and never did figure out what was wrong so I went back to my v 11.0 (run as v12.0 with a downloaded patch file from the ftp site awhile back). Unfortunately that option is becoming increasingly difficult as the CD has gotten all scratched up and the Disc repair I tried didn't work. Needless to say, half the time it doesn't even show a disc in the drive. But that is another problem altogether. So I guess I am stuck with this.

I am using an HP dv4, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1ghz, 4g RAM. Theoretically, I have the minimum processing power and the RAM, but this is a laptop so maybe I am just screwed in that regard. Any suggestions would be helpful even if they are the ones I don't want to hear...like "your machine won't run it because..."

Thanks in advance for any help

Does it crash ALL v11 projects or just this specific one?

It will not let me go to any directory other than the one it automatically opens. If I go the pull down list to select a different directory or over to the left for my quick links, the screen fades and I get "Animation Master is not responding"

Then "windows is checking for a solution to the problem" etc. Could I be missing a driver or have a registry file that's gotten bamboozled? BTW I am using Vista Home Pro, it came with the machine...

• Admin

When using older files the first thing I hope you are doing is before trying to manipulate or render the file in the newer version is save the file again. For old files I usually save with an appended version number so I know that it's been updated. (Example: Character.mdl would be saved as Character_v17.mdl)

Why do this?

Because A:M has to interpret what that old file's instructions are in light of current processing instructions.

By saving a new file A:M 'corrects' the interpretation so that it is in the proper format.

This is especially true given that the file format changed circa v11 to a more XML friendly format.

If working with files across this file format gap you are forcing A:M to do a lot of work it doesn't need to do.

Crashes are usually an indicator of attempting to perform some function too soon.

I suspect in this case that would be trying to perform some action on a Model or Project while A:M is still working through this file format interpretation.

So... long story short:

Import your old Model or Project and immediately Save it to the current version.

Do not overwrite your old files because you want to keep them too.

For problematic files it is almost always better to Import rather than to Open.

Why? Because via import, A:M knows it needs to interpret information that may not be completely compatible.

When using Open the basic assumption is that the file being opened is completely compatible (i.e. it is designed/formatted for use with the current version).

Added: I've been recently importing old files all the way back to v8.5 into v17 with no issues.

When using older files the first thing I hope you are doing is before trying to manipulate or render the file in the newer version is save the file again. For old files I usually save with an appended version number so I know that it's been updated. (Example: Character.mdl would be saved as Character_v17.mdl)

Why do this?

Because A:M has to interpret what that old file's instructions are in light of current processing instructions.

By saving a new file A:M 'corrects' the interpretation so that it is in the proper format.

This is especially true given that the file format changed circa v11 to a more XML friendly format.

If working with files across this file format gap you are forcing A:M to do a lot of work it doesn't need to do.

Crashes are usually an indicator of attempting to perform some function too soon.

I suspect in this case that would be trying to perform some action on a Model or Project while A:M is still working through this file format interpretation.

So... long story short:

Import your old Model or Project and immediately Save it to the current version.

Do not overwrite your old files because you want to keep them too.

For problematic files it is almost always better to Import rather than to Open.

Why? Because via import, A:M knows it needs to interpret information that may not be completely compatible.

When using Open the basic assumption is that the file being opened is completely compatible (i.e. it is designed/formatted for use with the current version).

Added: I've been recently importing old files all the way back to v8.5 into v17 with no issues.

That explains that problem but now a new one has reared it's ugly head because I think perhaps I have some grphics issues because when I tried to import one of my old model files into 17s "project 1" it loaded but the import directory stayed up and I couldn't do anything with the imported model. everything just froze up and then it stopped working again....same issue or a different one. This is getting aggravating.

Pretty much everything I have done so far has caused it to crash aside from drawing a simple square in a new model. If I close the Library, Community, and Prop Panes, the entire screen freezes and it stops working. That's probably a Refresh prob which I don't know I can do anything about. This machine has integrated graphics on it. It's the only one I have. My big machine died. All I have left of it is the drive (attached to this machine via external USB). I have no idea what the Video Memory is on this machine.

I just tried to open a project file. I managed to get it to open by going through Win Explorer and selecting "Open With" and it loaded. everything was there. I was able Save As but when I tried to open the project workspace, Animation Master stopped working.. :(

Back to two hours of trying to get my v11 CD to read....