Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Challenge #1 to my current project

rusty

Hi,

I'm only charging this female comedian whose in England $200 to put together an intro to her prod cast (first time I ever charge and 'money' for animation work). I took this project mostly so I could track my time and see how my estimate stacked up to reality. Estimate 8 hours/work hours to date 21 and still much to do, LOL.

One thing I need to create are 'energy balls'--a special effect--either an animated material or an animated decal (or both). Here's the description:

Spheres which are clear energy (almost look watery to give a hint of reflection but mostly clear, yet you don't see THROUGH them to other spheres) and the halo around is an almost fluorescent green. I see this green a lot now when I'm watching sci-fi videos. If you saw Prometheus it shoa lotp alot. Effect like subtle shift of reflection to indicate activity as opposed to a static ball. It's important that they don't like like a solid object, or water, but just 'energy'.

I have several ways to go but am looking for fresh alternatives and ideas.

Thanks,

Rusty

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi!

I need to build an 'infinite' (looking) grid or matrix of "energy balls". I've built a model of a matrix of spheres which is 22x22x22 and intend to stack these as needed to get the illusion. That one model alone contains 10,648 spheres.

If I need to use an animation and decal this onto the spheres to get the energy effect I'm in big trouble. My options seem to be:

a) decal 10,600 spheres separately or

B) decal just the fronts of each layer (migOKe okay) or

c) I can change the model and decal one sphere which I then proceed to copy/paste and constrain to each sphere bone in the deletingleating the spheres on the model) and export a model from the chor and stack those, or

d) do the above and just position each sphere/export a mstacko stacck.

All of the above is a lot of work! Does anyone see any other options?

If I just need to apply an animated material to the spheres, I'm not sure of the outcome. If rather than applying the material to each sphere (too much work), I apply the material to a single group called 'AllSpheres', will it look the same from the camera and will it look good.

It will probably be an animated material. Any alternatives, thoughts or ideas woulappreciatedy appriciated!

Rusty

• Admin

There are a lot of different ways you could proceed.

Perhaps if you could post an image from Google or some other source that will narrow down the possibilities.

My gut feel is that you are going to want to fake this (as opposed to model it all as if it were a real object).

The two easiest ways I can think of (to fake):

1. Create one image (a master model) that creates the look you are after.

Render that and bring it back into A:M and apply it to a model and then adjust the Repeat setting to 22x22.

If you have 22 planes (easily duplicated) then you'd have a 22x22x22 cube.

2. Create a model with one Light in it and experiment with the light settings and especially Lens Flare until you get the look you want.

Drag/Drop that Model into a Chor and use the Multiple Models pluging to create a 22x22 grid of lights.

(Consider how best to turn this 'grid' into a cube... as memory for a 22x22x22 cube of models with be considerable)

3. A combination of methods 1 and 2 together.

I believe you mentioned reflection.

In order to get the reflection you can consider several methods and the final desired look will dictate the approach.

At the $200 budget I would suggest flipping image you want as a reflection and composite it appropriately.

Wow, thanks for the suggestions and thanks John for the experiments!!! You guys are awesome.

Sorry I have not gotten back to any of you on this. First I need to get somclarificationon on those "energy balls"--I'm not sure exactly what she wants yet. However, Natalie's (this is the person who's hired me) been tied up with working and getting her camera'workingin and hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Secondly, my heads been buried in the sand with my new notebook--Win8 took me by surprise; just figuring out how it worked and now, getting it working on my network (still can't access files)! Haven't even started on all the installs and license transfers.

As I understand it, the energy balls are transparent looking (no color except perhaps in reflections) but you can't really see through them. There's a green glow 'around them'. The standard glow in A:M might do but initial tests show that it doesn't do too well as the balls go off into the distance... the size doesn't look right.

Mirrors sounds like a great idea! Never thought of this nor tried it. Have to look into this one. Could solve a lot of problems (the standard glow would seemingly be a problem though as the balls would be reflected before the glow is applied).

As soon as I know more I'll get back on this!

Thanks big time!!

Rusty