Hash, Inc. Forums

A question: how to use rotate manipulater

steve392

Is there a key when using the rotate manipulater in bones mode to move in just one direction,as I keep moving at big jumps even when I zoom in I can;t seem to get it fine enough to hit the spot

cheers Steve

Go to Tools>options and on the units tab.

you should find a setting called "snap angle" or something like that. Very likely set to 5. Type in a lower number (1 for instance) and try again.

See u

*Fuchur*

Thank;s for your reply Fuchur but when I move say in the x direction I can;t stop it moving in another direction at the same time so when I get x to zero then try to get y to 90 its mooving in the x derection allso

I must be missing something

Thank;s for your reply Fuchur but when I move say in the x direction I can;t stop it moving in another direction at the same time so when I get x to zero then try to get y to 90 its mooving in the x derection allso

I must be missing something

I'm guessing that you might be dealing with the nature of working with Eulers angles, and the order in which angles are computed (XYZ, versus XZY versus YZX versus etc). You will get different results than expected.

You will probably have more success if you just type in the values that you want for the bones rotation, and not use the rotator manipulator. In bones mode, you would enter the values under bones position/rotate. NOT under transform/rotate.

bonerotate.jpg

Hiya Nancy Im trying to do the foot rotation on the 2008 rig install,but it says to do it manuallyusing the rotate manipulator ,Ive done it before but never had this problem,Doese it make a diferance if I do it as you sugest ,its driving me nuts at the moment ,been on it for hours

Hiya Nancy Im trying to do the foot rotation on the 2008 rig install,but it says to do it manuallyusing the rotate manipulator ,Ive done it before but never had this problem,Doese it make a diferance if I do it as you sugest ,its driving me nuts at the moment ,been on it for hours

I've done it manually, and yes I've typed the exact values in. I'm not remembering the foot install, but usually I just manually copy values, rather than eyeballing.

Just exactly what is the resultant rotation that you are looking for? - Is it 0, 90, 0? or something more complicated?

Try it and see?

• Hash Fellow

You just want to rotate in one axis? that's what the red, green and blue rings are for. Your cursor will get a red, green or blue ring by it when you are correctly pointing to one.

What am I missing?

• Hash Fellow
I dont get the ring of confidence :) I don;t see a coloured ring and it just moves in a way that I cant control it

And you are pressing R to turn the Rotate manipulator on,yes?

Maybe a "Reset All Settings" is in order.

Ok - I don't know why you are having problems with controlling the manipulator, but now that I see (I think?) that you are trying to rotate a bone that has children (more foot bones):

Perhaps this might work - use the rotate manipulator, AND turn on the show manipulator properties. Input the exact values for rotation 90,0,0 that you want there (instead of in the bone position property). I think that will work better for you in this situation, unless there is something else funny going on.

Try it and see if that helps.

• Hash Fellow

Until the very end it looks like it is moving on one axis as desired. The last one doesn't because (it sure looks like) you slightly reclicked and missed the colored handled.

The difference shows because the two circular arrows at the tail of the cursor no longer appear. When it only shows a hand icon that is "free rotate".

Beyond that I'm not sure what it is that you are trying to do that you can't do?

Nancy where do I turn on the manipulator properties ,I can;t seem to find it

Robert the problem Im having is when I use the cursor it only lets me move it in large movements ,it just jumps from one place to another and I can;t get in between where I need it ,even when I zoom right in it just makes the jump bigger.Im thinking this maybe a mouse problem or something

Hi steve392,

To solve the Rotation Manipulator snapping problem that you are having you will need to go to your "Tools" menu bar option then select "Options".

A window will pop up and you will see a window like this:

am_options.jpg

Select the "Units" tab and change the value of the "Rotate Snap Angle" from 5 to zero.

When you go back to use your rotation manipulator your adjustments can be as exact as you want them to be.

Take care.

• Hash Fellow
Robert the problem Im having is when I use the cursor it only lets me move it in large movements ,it just jumps from one place to another and I can;t get in between where I need it ,even when I zoom right in

Back in the second post Fuchur gave the answer to that, and I presumed you did this...

Go to Tools>options and on the units tab.

you should find a setting called "snap angle" or something like that. Very likely set to 5. Type in a lower number (1 for instance) and try again.

Are you still having trouble moving it smaller?

Also, notice the tooltip that pops up when you hover over a colored handle: "Hold Alt key down for free rotate" Hold that and you can move the handle in in any small amount, no matter what the setting in the Units Tab is.

Ha maybe thats it I set the snap angle to 1 rather than zero ,I will try that thanks ,if I use the hand it lets it move in other axes at the same time and my hands just aint that steady Im afraid

heres a vid of trying to move the arm bones into the centre of the wrist but its not letting me .Will try that on zero cheers EDITED

Oh thats got it it was the snap angle many thank;s another problem solved

rotate.mp4