Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Character Models - Cleopatra

Ilidrake

I have never been happy with my old original Cleo model so I started from scratch. She will make a brief appearance in the trailer so it is key that she be completed. Unfortunatly I am at work and only have a few hours to work. This is what I have so far and I will update as I continue her.

Cleopatra0.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

I would say to make her as pretty as she will allow as several aspects of this can play into the movie.

For instance, while you haven't fully established the general look of things between the living and the dead I must assume that Gravedigger's look is an attempt to move in that direction. Death... well... he'll look rather skull like. Edgar? He's just a head. Franky... pieces and parts. Others, etc. etc.

Some thoughts.

It seems to me that Cleopatra's look is artificially enhanced and while she could weather considerably as the movies progresses you'd want to have her begin looking her absolute best in order to move in the opposite direction.

The cliche response might be to have parts of her fall off (which she quickly replaces) throughout the movie but I assume there is more to Cleopatra's power than this. As long as she has Death's scythe she may be a vision to behold... someone whose beauty makes her really look out of place.

Her true self would then be revealed after her power is stripped away.

How does that align with what you envision?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Admin
Yes I have three models I'm working on at the same time.

And you are proving that multitasking can be a very effective way to proceed. :)

I'm liking the way you are headed with Cleo.

If I may, I would like to suggest you do everything within your power to make her 'pretty'.

My rationale for this is several-fold. Firstly, most villainesses aren't particularly pretty. Secondly, Cleo is artificially enhancing her prettiness in the Land of the Dead, much as she did in real life.

If you have some time to waste here are a few biography videos on Cleo

I learned some things I didn't know about Cleopatra from watching them.

I'm trying for the pretty look but its very difficult lol

I will of course go and modify the head with various tweaks to pull her beauty out. The body is being quite difficult. Mainly due to the costume design I have in mind.

I'm still working on this model. I began work on the body. I have determined to go with a more stylized approach and I hope to have something to show in a few days. I am also considering modifying this model when completed and using it as the base for my Nora model.

Here she is folks! I still need to add and style her hair and add a rig but this is pretty much her. The cloth dress for the record works very well so far. I hope to start adding textures and hair soon. Keep your fingers crossed that she comes out delightfully cute and evil :)

Cleo0.jpg

Well it's been a long rode with this character. But this is the final, final version. I think she's seen more revisions than windows LOL...

But I can say I am real happy with her final look.

What say ye AMers!!!!

Cleo0.jpg

• Admin

Wow. Looking very good!

But this is the final, final version.

I'm always going to push you to be more perfect than perfect.

You know me. As such I'm going to try to get you to purge the word 'final' from your vocabulary. ;)

I'd say she's a bit too baby-faced.

If you slightly elongate her face by lowering her jaw but keeping her nose in about the same place and straightening her jaw line a bit (again think Maleficent) I think you'll have her.

In other words... age her a little (or even a lot).

She looks like she's about 16 or so whereas see needs to be about 39 years of age.

Impressive work there.

Added: Of course I'd save this girl as is to be used as a template for one or more of Cleo's chamber maids.

Slightly shorter than Cleo. OR perhaps she's the short one and they are all tall... that would give off a nice constrast to the sense of the power she wields over them.

With apologies for posting an incomplete image... I started to manipulate the image you posted last week before I went into my work-weekend.

I didn't have the time to devote to it so didn't post it last week but here is a rough length.

Note that this is the minimum I would extend/enlongate her face.

I'd push for a slightly starved look... ala Angelina Jolie.

minimum__elongation.png

Here's a side by side comparison of the two models. Before and after. I pulled the chin and jaw down and narrowed things a bit. It's subtle...better? Worst?

Added the third pic. I pulled the entire lower section of the face further down.

chamber_maid0.jpg

Cleo0.jpg

Cleo0.jpg

Edited by Ilidrake
Added a third pic

• Admin

I'm liking that direction.

I think you could push it even further but at this point I don't see a reason to mess with success.

Let animation dictate additional changes (if any).

Sorry for the delay in response... got called in to work yesterday.

Rock on Lloyd!

You've got a winner here. :)

P.S. I'm really liking the effect you've got going on the dress. On it's face... rather spectacular.

That default A:M background doesn't do it justice.

• Admin

I believe the true test of Cleo's look will be dictated by how well she can assume the facial expressions that are necessary for her character expressions to read correctly. For instance....

Sinister

Laughing

Condescending

Distainful

Frustrated

Angry

Very angry

So very freakin' angry it hurts

Mildly amused

Confused

Determined

Gloating

Impatient

Distracted

Happy (things are going according to my plan)

Happy (I can't believe you believe/agree with what I said)

Surprised

Repulsed

Scared

Etc.

• Admin
Thats a very exhaustive list. My next step with her will be to start adding facial expressions.

Without having made the attempt to distill them all I'd say the core expressions for those should boil down to approx. five (5) expressions.

I don't think it's accidental that on the outer extremities that's pretty much all there is.

If all the characters can do these six expressions then the remainder are mostly just those blended together and exaggerated:

• ANGER
  • FEAR
  • SURPRISE
  • SADNESS
  • JOY
  • DISGUST

Reference: http://www.cs.unc.edu/~andrei/expressions/