Hash, Inc. Forums

Buying a coffee shop

Shelton

• Admin

Pretty cool

My first impression when I saw that video was, 'Very nice... hey, wait-a-second... we've been able to do that in A:M for years!'.

Then as I looked closer I adjusted a little to, 'okay, maybe not everything.' ;)

• Admin
That would be awesome on the fur to tender in realtime and the light and shadows.

If we adjust the realtime settings of particle hair you can get a nice realtime view of what the final hair will look like (YMMV).

For systems with little memory using the wireframe setting will generally work best.

• Admin
Rodney how do you adjust? Are you talking density?

I should be careful here as I'm in no way someone to suggest recipes for particle hair. Heck I've yet to post anything I would consider ideal for hair.

The answer is a typical 'yes, but...' in that each situation will dictate.

For longer thinner hair I'd be more likely to crank up the realtime density but use wireframe mode instead of shaded.

For thicker hair or hair that has imagery lowering realtime density is a good way to proceed.

I also tend to use only 3 CPs for my hair guides unless there is a very specific reason to use more. (for really short hair I've used 2CPs and needless to say those hair stayed put right where I wanted them)

In this way they are easier to manage/animate.

Thus far I have tended to shy away from turning dynamics on because I immediately lose control of where the hair goes... and that rarely works for me.

I figure I'll eventually get to the point where I can anticipate how the dynamics will effect various types of hair but... I'm not there yet!

Note also that I'm referring to A:M's older Shag hair as well. It doesn't have as many bells and whistles as the new stuff but I still like to use it on occasion especially if hair will follow a very specific (spline based) trajectory.

There have been many time when I wished the old hair had some of the features of the newer hair such as Time Based density, color, etc.

If that can be done I certainly haven't found a way to do it yet.

Added: Grooming particles hair in wireframe mode is really quick! In shaded mode at any density... not so much.

• *A:M User*

Thanks Rodney

All those things help in the realtime world and I use them. But from the youtube video the hair and all were rendered in realtime. That would be cool. I thought you had stumble across something that I was not aware of. ;)

I figured out my rendering issues. Well to some degree. I had turned on SSS and did not realize I was rendering with it on. For whatever reason it was throwing a wrench in the gears. So here is a shot of the final position of arms, hand and shoulders of the three. Along with the rendering issues I was able to correct Laurie's hair issue..

Steve

stone0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I will look at that Robert. Thanks!

I have had a good week. I have rigged or rerigged 5 characters. No weighting as of yet but the rig is installed. With each character that I rig it goes faster and faster and I learn more about modeling in regards to the rig.

I will post a group shot of the five later today.

Steve

Here is a pic of the 5 new rigged characters with the Saucy Rig

There is no weighting at all on the new rigged character. Laurie has Mark's 2008 rig. I have about 5 more I need to install the rig and it only takes about 2.5 to 3 hours to get the rig into place and installed.

Steve

saucyrigs0.jpg

I have now completed 13 characters. Rigs are installed and some weighting is done. Most have no weighting applied but happy with the placement of the rig. The beauty of all the rigs (squetch, 2008, saucy, lite) is to have a geom (where the bones go model saved), and a saved model of the installed rig. That way if you find a bone out of place or not bending right, simply re run the install process after making corrections to the geom model.

I have two more characters to complete for the coffee shop disaster short.

I have about 6-7 more characters to complete but they will be in the next short and I will leave their rigs alone for now.

Thanks for looking

Steve

characters0.jpg

charactersnames.jpg

I have found a character I modeled in 2007 when there was a super hero contest I think. I never rigged the character because, well I could not rig or was afraid of rigging. I pulled it from a back up and rigged him with the Saucy rig tonight. There is no weighting on the model but I am happy with the placement. He will get cleaned up and placed in the shorts.

Introducing Larry

Steve

larry0.jpg

Thank you Robert and Nancy! That worked! Also I found the mesh was off on the left side by more than .3 and the weighting was not working. re ran C/F/A and tested mirror bones and it worked some times and then I would have to save come out of the project and then reload and the weighting would be there.

Thanks again

Steve

may be a little bug that needs to be reported?

Brent is Rigged but I noticed that the C/F/A did not work as expected. When I was weighting I noticed the cps were off .3. I checked the center spline and it was on 0 of the x axis. So I am puzzled about what happened. My have to re rig and C/F/A again. the head is correct. Any way here is Brent and I am happy with the beard and shaved head. Also Angie with the poodle.

Steve

angiepoodle0.jpg

brentbeard0.jpg

Ok well after many restarts I have completed the Brent Model. Well the rig is in place and will have to wait. Brent is modeled after a friend of mine who was the local Apple store manager.

Steve

brentbeardthree0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It has been a few days since I have had a chance to post anything. Work has been over the top and to relieve some stress I have been modeling again. here is the new character, Natalie's business suit. I am trying to use Caroline's dressme plugin.

Steve

suit0.jpg

Happy to say Chris has finished blocking scene one and is starting on scene two. I am beginning scene six the final scene. I am working on weighting, face rigs for the characters, and anything that needs touching. Chris is cutting up some more voice over and has been a steady rock through this process. Really glad to see this moving.

And we are very thankful for our "animation consultant", Robert Holmen

Thanks Rodney, and Matt I have background stuff but just wanted to see her with the bling. I d/l the bus stop assests recently and there is some great pieces there. I will upload Kate tonight with the rig installed.

When I try to render anything it will not past the first frame. I started a render this evening before dinner and 2 hours later it was still at 7%. It is a small animation and resolution is very small as well. I know Tore had an issue but thought that was fixed

18n is the version,