Hash, Inc. Forums

Buying a coffee shop

Shelton

• *A:M User*

I was nearing completion of the first floor. Decided to do a test render with 18e. Render crashed. When I reopened AM the model had 0 bytes??

I had a back up but was only at the beginning of the model.

The model when taken into a text editor looks like there is nothing there. I lost it all.

Steve

:blink::(

Ok hope you see where I am going with this building. What started out was a two story corner shop has ended up as the main apartment building for the street.

I am having trouble with the glass enclosure around the glass elevator.

Will work on that later

Steve

apartmenttwo0.jpg

After being down with a renewal issue, Jason was able to get me back. thank you sir

Now I have found added a tint of color to the glass helps define the glass and items behind.

Ok back to modeling

Steve

apartmenttwo0.jpg

The apartment building is all but finished. I have to stripe the back parking and clean things up but she will head to the street scene now. I wnet crazy on this and the building is a set in and of itself. I have hallways elevators that are on a pose. The apartments will serve as Connors residence in Cupids Sick day.

Anyway I will finish it this evening and then on to the next one.

Steve

deck0.jpg

deck0.jpg

Thank you Rodney!

No reference on this one or the last building. Off the top of my head. I had a pic that I saw from a small town, Guthrie Ok, pharmacy that had a corner door and from there I designed this one out as I went along.

Work flow is basic stuff.

I lay out the foot print first to see how much room I have to work with. this changes all the time!

Secondly, I decide one story, two story

Third, Decide on style. Old, new deco etc and begin a search of key features (round window or interesting brick).

The actual building of the building goes quickly as I use primitives for walls and such and scale accordingly. The main thing I watch for is the ovelap and the connecting of the walls.

Things like windows are operational and have separate sash and frames. I do build these as a separate model and then import them

I have been around construction all my life and if I think it needs a wall this way or that, I go with it.

Copy and paste are my friends in the building process.

Now the last thing I will do is put it together as one model and with Chris' set design (videos coming soon) I will break it apart in poses/relationships so that we use only what we need in the animation. Quite elegant design by Chris.

Steve

• Admin

I'm definitely looking forward to that video.

No reference on this one or the last building. Off the top of my head... I designed this one out as I went along.

And that makes this all the more impressive!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Admin
Any way I was thinking there was a park bench besides Myron excellent bench some where on the forum.

I've seen a park bench or two in rendered animation but can't seem to find the model itself.

If you have a reference pic of what you would call an ideal park bench it should be easy enough to model.

While looking for 'bench' I did see some weightlifting equipment and wondered if that might not be of use to you in one way or another.

• 1 month later...

Laurie is the main character in the Coffee Shop Disaster. After talking with Chris we agreed on the look should change from the old Laurie to a new one. I used several models to combine together and she is coming along..

I have re weighted from the hips up through the chest and shoulder and neck. I am currently weighting the face and putting face poses together. I hope to have some shots of her next week with hair as well.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

It has been a while since I posted anything. Work continues, and with school starting next week for Eli, I hope that I will have more time during the week to work on things.

Here is the cast of the Coffee Shop Disaster.

All the characters have a rig in them. Mack is re rigging a few characters with the new rig. Chris is hard at work with the animatics. I am building the scene around the characters and fine tuning them once the rigs are installed.

When we started this endeavor I thought we could knock it out quickly. I was wrong. It is amazing how much goes into a short. I admire those here on the forum who had a dream or idea and completed an animation!

Steve

cast0.jpg

• Admin

I know I'm repeating myself but those are some great looking characters.

Each one unique in their own way.

Robert really hit the nail on the head when he commented on the number of characters.

That kind of cast is a pretty rare thing to find in any animation project and due to the work involved few would attempt it.

Kudos to you for tackling it.

David

Thank you for showing this. I will have to watch it about 1000 times to get it. This was what Robert was talking about.

Rodney

Thank you Rodney! I hope that this fall we will be to show some things for all the hard work. Each one of the characters has alot more weighting and rigging to go! Smart skins are good by the way!

Steve

• 1 month later...