Hash, Inc. Forums

Buying a coffee shop

Shelton

• *A:M User*

I was comparing and playing with the new rendering features in v 18. Love it. There are so many combinations!

Here is a shot with SSAO and SSS. Angie on the right has sss turned on and the left does not.

The render times are just over a minute / frame with multipass turned on.

Steve

Edit

I added a shot with sss and light from behind Angie.

compare.png

frontasss0.jpg

I used Bitmap plus and came up with this on the material. Is there anyway to stop the overlap of the pattern

I am not aware of how to pick where the seams go using bitmap plus. I've never used the tile map feature - so that might be it? But I doubt it.

Bitmap plus tries to maintain the pattern of the image without introducing distortion, so it picks where the seams go in order to do this, as opposed to patch images and decals which always have some distortion, unless the shape being covered is a true plane, cylindar, sphere.

You might try making her lumberjack shirt less form fitting (like in real life). Or playing with repeat counts, size (or scale), and even maybe the bitmap line shift property? (probably only effects the repeat seam in Y direction? not sure).

Just like in real life, the flatter the shape being fitted, the less need for "darts" and irregular sewing pattern shapes. Lots of seam matching problems result in real life in order to fit the model shape. Go for a boxier look, or pick a different image for her shirt pattern, where the seam might not be so obvious?

CompareBitmapPlusMappingDifferentshapes.jpg

Thanks Nancy.

Decided to put this on the back burner for now until she is rigged. I tried to use decal and apply through editor. Found out how really bad a decal can look when you do it wrong.

I will come back to this later. I will revisit how we do clothing later. For now she is going to be rigged and after that hair and makeup.

Steve

shirt0.jpg

I am thrilled in the help of Mack Chapelle's in the rigging of characters. This is a proof of concept and the rig went in quickly.

Mack has been meeting with us and has begun the rigging of characters. Once he gets the rig in and weighted/smart skinned I will begin the face poses.

Once again love the new render features in v 18!!

Steve

Edit

This shot took less than 1:30 with hair and a lot of materials, multipass 5 passes, sss. Thank you Steffen

jacket0.jpg

• Admin

I'm loving these renders Steve! Looking very good!

I'd like to suggest adding a slight extrusion at the base of this last guy's jacket/sleeves/pants to suggest thickness.

It wouldn't have to be much and wouldn't even need to be further extruded inwardly (as in the example on the right) although that might work better in many situations..

Something like the one in the middle but with the inner ring moved closer to the edge would provide 'thickness' enough.

The example of an object without any visible thickness is on the left.

Looks like with the new speed and realtime improvements I'm going to have to do some experimenting with rendering!

thickness.png

• Admin

Steve,

I'm curious about the Sub Surface Scattering settings you are using.

If it's not too much of a pain can you share them with us?

It looks a lot like one of Nancy's tests from back awhile but it's hard to tell from here.

Regardless... I like! :)

Nothing fancy Rodney

SSS with diffuse color of 253, 227, 185

SSS half distances 3,2,1

SSS extend group to avoid SSS borders

Slow going on the modeling. Had a date with my wife. First one in awhile with our son or family or... It was nice. Got some time after to work on this!!

Steve

faceguy0.jpg

• Admin
Nothing fancy Rodney

SSS with diffuse color of 253, 227, 185

SSS half distances 3,2,1

SSS extend group to avoid SSS borders

Thanks for that! :)

It's been a while since I've used SSS and I really should be using it for my skin texturing.

Head nearing completion

I'll say it is. Looking very good from here!

Ears in place. Did I mention I hate modeling ears?

You may hate it but you've done a great job with them.

I would have guessed you had borrowed them from another model.

Good on you for modeling them from scratch!

One thing I have learned from our poly friends. They place a rig around the eyes or what I call fill pieces at the sides of the eyes. I like their practices. That way there are no gaps around the eyes.

Steve

In the corners. I have always had trouble getting the eyes and eye sockets to match without gaps between the eyelids and eyes. So I was on one the "other forums" and noticed a lot of guys model the corner of the eyes with a mesh "filler". Another way is pull and extrude an actual socket and encase the eyes. Both ways were pretty cool.

Steve

• Hash Fellow

Aside from carefully fitting the eyelid to the eye ball, of course, what I've been typically doing is taking the inner loop of the eyelid and extruding it one more time and scaling that down to a point at the center of the eyeball so it's like a cone coming from the center of the eye.

That makes for no visible gap between the eyelid and eye. That works except for extreme close ups which are rare.

Thanks Robert

That is good as well and even easier!!

Steve

In the past I highlighted and locked the eyeball and splined around it to from my eyelids making sure the splines were not breaking through the eye itself. I will use one of the outlined procedures and Robert will probably do your suggestion!

Steve

There has been a contract dispute in Cupid's Sick Day. Due to this dispute a casting change has taken place.

Cindy will no loner be the lead actress. In her role, Angie will now take the lead. Luc has been replaced with Connor.

Here are the couple that will be the stars of Cupid's Sick Day.

Steve

angie0.jpg

I am working with hair and having an issue.

Version 18 placed the material on the model and in chor rendered and all hair is black

Quick rendered in model mode and it renders correctly.

Can someone else test this issue?

Steve

Edit

Version 17 hair renders correctly

I am working with hair and having an issue.

Version 18 placed the material on the model and in chor rendered and all hair is black

Quick rendered in model mode and it renders correctly.

Can someone else test this issue?

Steve

Edit

Version 17 hair renders correctly

Do you have an example? Hair is working fine in Chor and Modelling-Window but maybe it is some sort of combination that is causing the trouble...?

See you

*Fuchur*

Hi Gerald

Thanks. It appears to be a combination of SSS and hair material applied. I removed the SSS and the hair rendered correctly. This might be something some one else could try and if it does the same thing I will report it.

Steve

Thanks Dan

really been in the mode to get the project back on track, and with the help of Chris and Mack, things are happening again!

Steve

Back in 2006, I can't believe I typed that, I modeled a dog for a animation short. It was my first project that had movement. It is amazing to look at the old models and realize how things have changed.

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...mp;#entry207134

In Cupid's Sick Day Angie will be walking a dog down the street. I have started to model the dog for that sequence. I actually used my old model for reference. I wanted to reuse it, but there are too many issues.

Steve

poodle0.jpg

How are things going David?

Lots of waiting. I cleaned up everything in my yard except for the two sheds that don't belong to me (I'll have to deal with the one sticking in the side of my house, but the other one can wait). I have a couple of people I'm now waiting to hear back from...it's the holidays. Things should pick up next week.

Hair is going onto the poodle. Working with the settings of MuHair.

If Nancy is there, how do you turn down the secondary?

I have al but selected 0% but yet I still am getting the secondary color

Steve

tail0.jpg

tail0.jpg

tail0.jpg

If Nancy is there, how do you turn down the secondary?

I don't usually use muhair. Not fond of working with it. I prefer the control and different looks one can get much easier with regular hair for the stuff I do. But Matt Campbell likes to use it.

I would need to see your settings first. I don't see secondary color? I only see B&W? with overly bright specular look.

Perhaps, (if you are talking about the shiny overly bright look), my guess (without seeing your settings) is that your hair emitter/specular render shader/muhair/secondary strength is NOT turned down from 100% to something else?

Or that the surface spec size, intensity settings in the hair emitter are set too high?

I wanted to give one last update before I present her. The MuHair shader has been a challenge to figure out. But with lower settings nice effects can be achieved.

I am working on the topknot and grooming it and after that I will be ready for rigging.

Steve

poodlefacehair0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Had to start over on Angie's hair but feeling better about it. I was able to get hair through the hair tie.

Here her with the pony tail, sides and back completed. I will get on the top and front tonight.

angiehair0.png