Hash, Inc. Forums
KJ'd Beast

Request to make Tip of the Day a Toolbar

I believe the "Tip of the Day" would be more useful as a "Tool Bar" item and renamed as "Tips."

As a new user, when you first get A:M you want to get right to the program.

The Tip of the Day Startup window is like a big stop sign.

Many users, including myself, turn that feature off.

I think incorporating it as a tool bar item would be more usefull and keep it out of the way.

Tip_of_the_Day_Feature_Suggestion.JPG

You'll want to post your request to A:M Reports.

A:M REPORTS GENERAL GUIDELINES

User requests define the future development of the software. When considering bug reports and feature requests here are some useful guidelines to follow:

-Post wish lists, feature requests and bug reports to http://www.hash.com/reports where they will be categorized and prioritized.

The primary reason this area is here is because 80% of issues can be corrected without a report.

Requests to change exisiting features or add new features need to get into the A:M Reporting system so that they can receive the attention they need.

Here's the link to A:M Reports: A:M Reports

If you want to explore the feature that is currently there and maximize that to the greatest extent possible by all means this is a place we can do that while waiting for the request to be fully processed, investigated, prioritized and put into place.

You do know that once turned off the Tip of the Day panel can be brought back for viewing via the Help Menu?

HelpDesk.png

You should be able to accomplish the basics of what you want via Tools/Customize:

This is also where you can assign a shortcut key to the Tip of the Day so that you can bring it up at the press of a key.

TipoftheDayToolbarShortcutKey.png

It should be noted that we can add the Tip of the Day to the Toolbar menu already but I'm not sure we can assign an icon to it (which makes it particularly hard to launch). If in fact we can't do that then that would be a different issue worthy of submission to A:M Reports.

I've posted a video showing the basic steps to walk through up to the point of adding the Tip of the Day to the Toolbar to the A:M Report you submitted. It includes accessing the Tip of the Day via the Help Menu, assigning Shortcut Keys etc.

Note: For anyone wanting to track this report it has been filed as:

[bug]6268[/bug] Make Tip of the Day a Tool Bar

You'll want to post your request to A:M Reports.

A:M REPORTS GENERAL GUIDELINES

User requests define the future development of the software. When considering bug reports and feature requests here are some useful guidelines to follow:

-Post wish lists, feature requests and bug reports to http://www.hash.com/reports where they will be categorized and prioritized.

The primary reason this area is here is because 80% of issues can be corrected without a report.

Requests to change exisiting features or add new features need to get into the A:M Reporting system so that they can receive the attention they need.

Here's the link to A:M Reports: A:M Reports

If you want to explore the feature that is currently there and maximize that to the greatest extent possible by all means this is a place we can do that while waiting for the request to be fully processed, investigated, prioritized and put into place.

Rodney,

Thank you. I did post it in A:M reports but I guess I was confused because of the MANTIS interface and I wasn't sure I was doing it correct. I reposted it here because it looks more like the regular forums.

It should be noted that we can add the Tip of the Day to the Toolbar menu already

I didn't know that could be done. However, I couldn't really follow the video without narration and it's so tiny I can't see what's going on...

Thank you. I did post it in A:M reports but I guess I was confused because of the MANTIS interface and I wasn't sure I was doing it correct. I reposted it here because it looks more like the regular forums.

That's another reason why this section of the forum was added. A lot of folks don't know how bug reporting works but once they do... things really get going. If we can help the process here and squash a few things that aren't bugs in the process then we'll have made progress.

I couldn't really follow the video without narration and it's so tiny I can't see what's going on...

Thanks for the feedback Robert. I have two primary issues when it comes to video capture/tutorials and I'm hoping to get those locked down in the near future. The first is screen resolution and the second is audio. I'm having a heck of a time getting my software to play nice and deliver a decent file size with adequate resolution. Audio-wise I have so much ambiant background noise and then the audio also increases the file size too much. I really need to get that ironed out. I have some pretty nice walk in closet space (that currently just houses my books) and if it doesn't sound like I'm broadcasting from inside a box that might work well for recording the audio.

You may not that in this video (or perhaps not because of the rez) that I was experimenting with Picture in Picture down in the left corner (it didn't quite work out as well as I had hoped). The idea those would be that a close up depicting the mouse and what it's clicking on might be present in that corner box. Alternately, the screen itself could have the close up and the lower right corner could show the full screen activity that is going on.

Still a lot of little details to work out... and I need to buy a decent mic.

I recommend Hypercam and then recompress with Quicktime Pro.

Quicktime Pro is a problem child for me at the moment.

Might have something to do with the fact that I recently updated to the latest version (v7.7.3).

Shouldn't be a problem though as their description suggested that only security type improvements were updated.

As an example: I tried to export/save a Quicktime video out without sound and even unchecked the box that normally disables sound. It kept the sound anyway. Very odd. (I think that particular problem may have gone away after a computer restart)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.