Hash, Inc. Forums

Adding light in model window turns off all other lights?

Darthlister

• Hash Fellow

I believe that is "normal" in real time views. A progressive render will show a truer view of the model.

I think an easier gambit is to model without lights and then constrain lights to a model in the chor.

• Admin

There use to be a limit to the number of lights that will appear in the realtime view.

I don't recall whether that number was three... six... but there was/is a limit.

This would also explain why sometimes we see unexpected differences between the realtime and fully rendered views. (i.e. if those additional lights contribute significantly to the finally rendered results)

At a guess I'd say that the original limit was set because graphics cards had to calculate all those instructions when additional lights didn't significantly contribute much to the scene (result: very little result for a whole lot of calculation).

There is a topic that discusses this briefly... I think it's in the Lighting and Rendering forum.

Added: One method I've taken to of late is to create an Action that contains all the Lights in the scene and then drop that onto an empty Model in the Chor. These Lights then can be adjusted easily and even saved as Lighting Setups for later reuse.

Tech Note: Adding Lights into an Action is a lot easier than adding Lights into a Model. When Lights are added to a Model they are treated as Bones and placed at the 0,0,0 coordinates. In an Action the Lights are placed at the mouse's location in 3D space much as they would be in the Chor. When lighting a specific Model one method would be to create an Empty Model and then bring that Model into that empty Model as an Action Object and then add Lights around the Model. Then when this Action is dropped onto any empty Model in the Chor both the Model and it's assigned default lighting will appear in the Chor.