Hash, Inc. Forums

Disney acquires Lucasfilm

Rodney

• Admin

Is this April 1st?

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/201...-lucasfilm.html

Along with the purchase, Disney announced that it plans to release a seventh live-action "Star Wars" movie in 2015

and from another source:

"our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years," Iger said.

In other news (NY Times/LA Times etc.):

George is retiring (with Kathleen Kennedy taking over as head of Lucasfilm)

Disney is to pay $4.05 billion for Lucasfilm.

Included in the deal are special-effects house Industrial Light & Magic, Skywalker Sound and video game company LucasArts.

The .05 was for the rights to Howard the Duck.

I wonder what this means for future Indiana Jones films.

I wonder who besides Lucas is in on that $4 Billion

I have read that Lucas is actually the sole shareholder of LucasFilms, mind you I read that in passing and not from an entirely reliable source, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was the sole shareholder.

I'm glad George is moving on and put his franchise in capable hands. Although I'm befuddled why he stated he has other experimental films he wants to do and didn't want to drag his company through that. That's why he created Lucasfilm in the first place so he could do his own films. Happy retirement George, may the force be with you.

• *A:M User*

I was pretty shocked by this. I always sorta assumed he would be passing it onto his kids, but I guess they may not have any interest in making movies.

Could be he's tired of all the criticism over the prequels and doesn't want to go through that again? Or maybe wanted to pass the reigns on while he was alive to do so?

I wonder if this includes the rights to Star Wars or if this is just the studio itself.