Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Trouble with Newton Physics

Tom

Hello-

I was attempting the tutorial on Newton Physics... the one where you have 3 cylinders that are supposed to tumble on themselves.

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?act=A...st&id=19636

Each cylinder is set to be a dynamic object and the ground is static.

Pretty basic stuff, but I get this error message when I right click on one of the cylinders in Choreography:

I am using V17a and after receiving the error message I copied the "explode.hxt" from the V16 Hxt folder into the v17 Hxy folder ,thinking that might help...(because there was no "explode.hxt" in the v17 folder). Didn't help...

Has anyone had similar issues...or any suggestions?

Many thanks!

Tom

Error.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

here is simple newton project done in 17a try this then if it works delete and reset up the chor and try again and see if you can get it working

newton.zip

newton.mov

Thank you so much!

I was just going to ask someone to post a simple project because some of the old Newton projects seem to work and others don't.

Thanks for your kindness.

Tom

I unzipped the simple Newton project and tried it on both my machines (I have two Hash Web subscriptions) and the Newton simulate did not work on either one...

Wow..I am puzzled. I did not change or modify the model or project at all. Only loaded it and right clicked in the Choreography window to try and simulate Newton. The machine calculated like it normally would for any simulation but the models did not fall from the sky like they should have (as shown by the movie).

I realized that there are two possibilities available when you are trying to get the Newton to simulate. You can right click on a model (highlight that particular model) and then when you right click you get "NewtonPhysicsHelper" and when you simple right click in the Choreography without highlighting anything,

... you get "SimulateNewton".

I actually tried both options and when I highlighted just the model... I got the same error message which showed up (see first post at top of thread).

I know you have to check a settings in the "options" window when you want particles/hair to render. Is there some other place in the software that needs to be told to render Newton physics?

Thanks for any insights anyone might have...

Tom

BTW - I am running Windows XP professional version and AM v17.a 32 bit.

Rob-

Thank you so much for the movie!!!

My father had a saying called "COIK" (kinda like "coin" with a "k"). It stood for "Clear Only If Known". Which was his way of dealing with new technology.

And this is a perfect example of that.

Here is my mistake. During the "SimulateNewton" action I was expecting to see the cylinders drop in the Choreography window...however the simulation was so fast that nothing moved (!!!) and I didn't bother to check the little markers in the timeline window to verify whether anything had been rendered...

....and I neglected to scrub the little marker to test the animation. So by just trusting my eyes I was missing the whole thing.

And I wouldn't have problem solved it without your and the other kind members on the list!

Another hurdle solved with the Hash helpers.

Many thanks!

Tom

And just to clarify the "COIK" that was mentioned in the previous post...

I had been playing around with "Cloth Sims" feature in AM and was really enjoying the beautiful ballets as the cloth is rendered frame by frame...while the simulation is running.

So I mistakenly thought that "Newton Sims" would do the same "frame by frame" rendering... where the user could enjoy it.

It wasn't until Rob posted that movie that I realized my error. Nothing like seeing a first-person hands-on account to make it "COIK".

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to help!

Tom