Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Walk Cycle / Animation Critique

Rodney

• Admin

9k8nDOM7LZ4

AnimSchool Instructor JP Sans reviews student, Jorge Feres's, character walk from his Animating Characters class. Here JP goes over fundamentals and how to push poses to help create contrast in a shot

Direct Link:

What I really like about this review is how JP Sans covers the following:

Lean (Setting a character off balance in order to motivate a movement)

The Contact Pose (This pose is so important and JP Sans knows what to look for)

Exaggeration (It is always best to exaggerate in cartoony animation. It is rare that you'll need to dial it back but will more than like need to push the pose more)

Missing Poses (JP Sans's ability to quickly spot the missing poses is something is a point I'd like to get to myself and I know that is primarily the task of constant and continuous observation)

Opposing Directions (He doesn't specifically cover this in the video but he still gets it in various way in the process of correcting Jorge poses. The most obvious place being at the very end when he add some stretch to the character motivated by the characters desire to look at something)

Text in brackets is my general observations.

What is particularly nice about the animation itself is that the character isn't just walking for the sake of walking but is motivated to be doing something. What isn't clear is what he is looking at which is something not discussed in the video.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AnimSchool Instructor JP Sans reviews student, Jorge Feres's, character walk from his Animating Characters class. Here JP goes over fundamentals and how to push poses to help create contrast in a shot

Rodney

I would be very interested to see the clip you mention but, no reference to it appeared in my browser ( Safari ). Could you kindly supply the link again ?

regards

simon