Hash, Inc. Forums

CP Weighting vs Fan-Boning

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

A simple-case demonstration of how the results of the two techniques differ.

CPWeighting_vs_FanBoning.mov

search tags: CP weights weighting Fan Bone Fan-Boning Fanboning

Original: (above)

Updated:

[quicktime]http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=61324[/quicktime]

From left to right:

-The original CP weighted model

-the original fan boned model

-a dense mesh weighted with Bone Falloffs from just two bones

-a dense mesh weighted by the AW_Transfer plugin using just the 3-spline-ring fanbone model as the source.

Great demo- illustrates a potential downside to the CP weight method that needs to be remembered.

I think there is no easy answer like "use only one". In most situations you want to use a combination of fanbones, CPs and maybe even smartskins.

At least that is my experience.

See you

*Fuchur*

Great demo- illustrates a potential downside to the CP weight method that needs to be remembered.

I think there is no easy answer like "use only one". In most situations you want to use a combination of fanbones, CPs and maybe even smartskins.

At least that is my experience.

See you

*Fuchur*

Agree! Where for simple joints, fans or weights may be enough, I almost always create smartskins too.

• Hash Fellow

One automatic weighting technique that is not used as often as it might be is Bone Falloffs

The far right example here has a "more complex" mesh that was CP weighted between two bones (no fan bone) without me having to edit any weights manually.

BoneFalloffDemo.mov

• Hash Fellow

Here's an updated experiment.

VariousDemo.mov

From left to right:

-a dense mesh weighted by the AW_Transfer plugin using just the 3-spline-ring fanbone model as the source.

the last one isn't a bad result for an "automatic" weighting

Here's an updated experiment.

VariousDemo.mov

From left to right:

the last one isn't a bad result for an "automatic" weighting

It seems to me that, in a humanoid model, Cp weighting would be the way to go, as the angles of rotation aren't enough to result in a noticable thinning, and it offers a more gradual change from one bone to the next, especially in a torso.

Has anybody worked on a "cutscene quality" humanoid figure? HAving said the above, I'm having difficulty tweaking the arms, wrists, and torso exactly. It seems that, in normal torso twist or bend, a person moves almost everything from the neck to the legs..

Rich

• Hash Fellow
Has anybody worked on a "cutscene quality" humanoid figure? HAving said the above, I'm having difficulty tweaking the arms, wrists, and torso exactly. It seems that, in normal torso twist or bend, a person moves almost everything from the neck to the legs..

The solutions are as many as there are different characters. If you can post an example of what you are having trouble with we might be able to diagnose it.