Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

6102: Extra tools to round out Snap to Surface

Rodney

• Admin

Reference: [bug]6102[/bug]

I'm wanting to explore a few of the reports filed away in A:M Reports in order to better understand what the user was/is looking for and so that in v18 they will be more likely to see what they are looking for. Obviously my exploration will stop short of any coding or programming... but in the exploration who knows what might be found!

Report 6102 looks like one worth exploring because it is likely the reporter hasn't yet fully explored the Snap to Feature tools in light of other tools currently available in A:M.

General Data:

DJBREIT

moderate

beta0

Modeling

3/26/2012

Windows 7 64-bit Sevice Pack 1 i7 960 3.20GHz

Description: Some extra tool to round out the Snap to Surface

This is a new and unassigned report.

In the exploration I hope to learn more about what the current implementation of Snap to Surface can do.

My focus has been within the Modeling window and with use of models/structures created in A:M but I am not averse to using imported Props. I am just more personally interested in a purely A:M-centric workflow.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

DJ added this to his report:

Requested Tools:

1. Snap to intersection. (with a button instead of a key so you can turn it on and off)

2. Set "Y" key to snap to midpoint of line as in the model window.

3. Mouse right click and drag to select is not available and would be handy.

4. Distortions Box as in model window.

My initial thought is to consider if these features already exist for Snap to Surface workflow within a Modeling window.

This provides a framework from which to study and better understand the workflow with Props in the Chor window.

The image DJ provided isn't exactly clear with regard to what he is after:

Image Link

But Fuchur helped determine what he was after:

Fuchur asked:

Hi, what exactly do you mean with "Snap to intersection"? Where the underlying object and the newly created one is intersecting each other? Or where two splines are running across eachother? Or something different? A small images to show what you are after would be very helpful!

DJ responded:

The intersection of a polygon point in a model or a CP point of an AM model. It seems to snap a point to the X,Y or Z 0level if you add a CP and miss the edge . Or around a hole in the model

This appears to be a new feature request and not just an enhancement.

• Admin

Several areas I haven't yet fully explored:

Templates to aid in modeling with Snap to Surface (Some will be more optimal than others)

Mixing Props and A:M Models to further enhance workflow (What isn't caught by the Prop might be caught by the Model)

-- The example of this would be a flat plane that is placed at a point of intersection with the Prop. Should a CP be placed off the Prop then it would be caught by the Model.

Animated Snap to Surface (I need to learn to screen capture my tests because I've forgotten my earlier exploration into this area. The idea is to model on top of (or to track) a moving Snap to Surface object.)

Further investigation into what Snap to Surface sees and what it allows through/ignores. (This relates to Templates in that a mesh could be built that would allow something akin to Snap to Intersection.

Further exploration of the use of Snap to Surface in conjunction with other tools such as Snap to Grid, Magnet Mode etc. Theoretically, Snap to Surface in conjunction with Snap to Grid should result in a semblance of Snap to Intersection.

• Admin

Additional Background:

Snap to Surface is the underlying feature Steffen brought to life from the initial request for a tologology tool from Fuchur:

Ref: Report: 5999

I want to also add this from yet another request/report that Steffen coded into A:M. That is the ability to set the Snap to Surface distance in Tools/Options/Modeling tab. He also says (and I paraphrase):

A:M uses the normal direction from the underlying object, so the distance is the same at every added cp.

To activate the offset, hold the Shift key down while adding the CP. In this way you can work in 'mixed' mode. Offsetting or Not Offsetting as you feel the need.

Ref: Report: 6107

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

Somewhat related to my last post, this is a fascinating set of images.

It uses Snap Group to Surface but that in and of itself is not what is of interest to me.

What is interesting is how the surface of an object can be captured but not only the surface butthe outline/contour as well.

This (very!) roughly equates to some of the things they've got going on over at Disney with 'Paperman'.

This is way beyond the scope of Snap Group to Surface but I find it interesting never-the-less.

SnapGrouptoSurface_gridbitscan_000.png

ContourLineDetermination.png

SnapGrouptoSurface_gridbitscan_surface000.png