Hash, Inc. Forums

Is v17 64bit faster than 32bit?

tbenefi33

I think there was a post about bench marks? for V17 .. if I recall correctly 64 bit version was faster on some tests ....I guess the amount of memory one has installed may play a part of the speed too and of course CPU speed, cores etc .... I have Win7 64bit v17a on my cheapo HP Pavilion g series laptop with 8gb memory and dual core 1.9 to 2.5 mhz AMD CPU .... all runs well on it .... bout all I can add...

Mike C

• Hash Fellow

other things being equal, the 64-bit version will be faster than the 32 bit version.

But if you get a license for your other 64-bit computer you can install and run both the 32 and 64 bit versions with the same license. The advantage of the 32 version is that it has Quicktime and there may be some old plugins that only work in 32-bit.

I only pop into the 32 bit version when I need Quicktime. Otherwise, I work entirely in the 64-bit to get the faster render times. I usually render either individual frames or render to an AVI with uncompressed frames and then re-encode it in Handbrake, so I don't usually have a direct need for Quicktime from within A:M.

• Hash Fellow

I'll note that the 32-bit version of A:M has Quicktime but doesn't give access to Quicktime audio compression for your audio track. A:M will leave your audio as uncompressed audio which can be huge. I presume the Mac version of A:M is similar.

That's a reason to render to some uncompressed format in A:M then take the file to some other app (I use Quicktime Pro) to compress both audio and video in one sitting.