Hash, Inc. Forums

How well could T-Rex See

fae_alba

So I was ready an article on MentalFloss just now (here about how well a t-rex could really see moving objects. The thought occurred to me, can we demonstrate this in A:M? My mind did a wonderful leap and said sure!

We can't we build a t-rex model (I thought there was one out there). in the place of the eyes, place a camera. Render each camera as left and right, then create a 3d movie of it. Run some characters past t-rex's field of vision at different speeds, distances, and viola, we have a demonstration of t-rex's visual acuity!

• Hash Fellow

I suppose part of the problem is that we have no T-Rex eyes. We have their skulls, we can guess that they had forward vision from the shape of that. They would have had a wider stereobase than we do but we don't know much about how their brain processed it or how good the focus was in side the actual eye.

I always wonder what animal thoughts are like if they don't have language.

I suppose part of the problem is that we have no T-Rex eyes. We have their skulls, we can guess that they had forward vision from the shape of that. They would have had a wider stereobase than we do but we don't know much about how their brain processed it or how good the focus was in side the actual eye.

"Stevens built a scale model of the T. rex’s head and popped in some taxidermic eyes based on the eyes of three animals pretty closely related to T. rex—alligators, ostriches, and eagles—and adapted for situations that a dinosaur would have likely encountered

Read the full text here: http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/...4#ixzz28w7hb6RW

--brought to you by mental_floss!"

Anyone have a t-rex kicking around? As soon as I get my license renewed, I'll give it a try!

"Stevens built a scale model of the T. rex’s head and popped in some taxidermic eyes based on the eyes of three animals pretty closely related to T. rex—alligators, ostriches, and eagles—and adapted for situations that a dinosaur would have likely encountered

Read the full text here: http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/...4#ixzz28w7hb6RW

--brought to you by mental_floss!"

Anyone have a t-rex kicking around? As soon as I get my license renewed, I'll give it a try!

Great idea!

If you have the Extras DVD there's a T-Rex on that; ExtrasData > Models > Animals > Dinosaurs > T-Rex

• Admin
If you have the Extras DVD there's a T-Rex on that; ExtrasData > Models > Animals > Dinosaurs > T-Rex

Can you post that to the A:M Exchange area?

I would do that myself but my Extra DVD is still buried in a box from moving.

I found most of my other A:M CDs but not the Extras... it figures... I packed that one separately because I knew I was going to need it!

Be sure to use Consolidate to make sure all of the decals get zipped up with it. (Assuming they aren't already zipped up on the Extra DVD.

Can you post that to the A:M Exchange area?

I would do that myself but my Extra DVD is still buried in a box from moving.

I found most of my other A:M CDs but not the Extras... it figures... I packed that one separately because I knew I was going to need it!

Be sure to use Consolidate to make sure all of the decals get zipped up with it. (Assuming they aren't already zipped up on the Extra DVD.

Done and looking forward to seeing the resaults of this little experiment!

• *A:M User*

I don't know about T-rexes (rexen?) but based on the way my dog acts, whether I am gone for 5 minutes or 5 hours, it is like an eternity for him. I don't think dogs have the same perception of time that we do.

But maybe this is me overly anthropomorphizing the little buggger.