Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Flash For Macs

Simon Edmondson

In another thread about compositing, Rodney kindly supplied a link to a talk about the subject. I followed up the link provided and it asked me to update the Flash player. I did that and installed it but, when I went back to try the link again it still wanted me to install the latest version...

This has happened before with other things, notably on Youtube, so I suspect it may be part of the Apple - Adobe battle I've heard about?

Is anyone else using a Mac having this problem and, if so, does anyone know a solution ?

I'm using OSX 10:68 with Safari

regards

simon

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Simon, there was a Trojan going around awhile ago that used the flash pop up to install malware on Macs. It was supposed to have been fixed with an update, but I would only update your flash player from adobe's website.

I think as far as the links Rodney provided go, you are safe.

Just visited them myself and wasn't asked to update Flash and it played just fine on Firefox and Safari.

The latest Mac version of Flash is 11.4.402.265 You can check yours by opening System Preferences > Other (its the section at the bottom of the window) > Flash Player > Advanced.

Mark and Mark

Thank you both for your replies.

I did check to see if it was the Adobe site and it did link to the licence agreement and a few other adobe bits so seemed safe (?).

I followed Mark W's suggestion and checked the version number in system preferences and it tallied with what you mentioned about the latest version,

Is there a way I can check to see if I have the trojan ?

The last time I picked up malware was a virus on the Amiga ( !!!) and used to steer clear of the net for just that reason.

regards

simon

Hi Simon

One thing you can do yourself to check for signs of potential infection is to have a look in the following place on your system. Remember you are just looking, don't go moving or deleting anything!

On a healthy system you should be able to navigate this path;

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.xprotectupdater.plist

If the .plist file at the end is missing then that might indicate a problem.

And have a read of this http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57403...alware-in-os-x/

Screen_shot_2012_10_05_at_17.46.51.png

Hi Simon

One thing you can do yourself to check for signs of potential infection is to have a look in the following place on your system. Remember you are just looking, don't go moving or deleting anything!

On a healthy system you should be able to navigate this path;

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.xprotectupdater.plist

If the .plist file at the end is missing then that might indicate a problem.

And have a read of this http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57403...alware-in-os-x/

Mark

Thank you very much for that.

I checked the Library as you suggested , and got this,

Library_list.jpg

I may have misunderstood but, that would suggest it was OK ?

I've been using computers for a long time but have very, very, little knowledge about the OS's. My brother on the other hand dreams in machine code !

regards

simon