Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Disney's 'paperman'

Rodney

• Admin

Pretty amazing stuff.

As amazing as this is we can come pretty close to that stuff where they draw on top of the guys hand and it inbetweens the rest automatically with A:M's new 'Snap to Surface' feature. Of course there is a lot more going on than just the matching of animation lines to surfaces in 'Paperman'... :blink:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it me or do they go thru a lot of steps to do what we do in just a few?

It is more like an interpolated texture or something like that. I dont see that this is available in A:M right now, but still yes: It is quite much to do for that.

See you

*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

I can see the advantage of getting tricky shape things like those hair lines interpolated, and of course being able to do most of the character animation in 3D and make it look 2D at the end could be a huge gain.

• Admin
that looks like it has a lot of possibilities, but in the examples they were showing, the effect is sort of minimal. I would have liked something that really showed a dramatic effect.

I believe the purpose of the short was to test out the technology with subtle gestures and minimal effect. If that can be captured then it's easy to extrapolate to the extreme performances. Getting 3D to look like it was hand drawn and to be approachable in the same sense as if an artist was drawing it with his hands rather than manipulating a puppet has been something of a holy grail for Disney. I'm sure there are a lot of rough edges to work out but Disney has hit a new level of 2D/3D integration here. I can only hope that some of it will filter down to where the common artist can leverage the technology as well.

For those that didn't see it at the youtube site here's a interview with the Director of 'Paperman', John Kahrs:

Those are very short (only a minute or two). This is a long interview: