Hash, Inc. Forums

Vw Bus Utility Vehicle

I've always been intrigued by the utility vehicles to which the railroad companies attach retractable flanged wheels to allow them to ride the rails. So when I saw the image shown in the upper left of an actual VW bus version, I knew I had to modify my own microbus model. And inspired by the image of a prototype pickup bus shown in the upper right, I decided to go off the deep end and design a stake truck version.

Before I started texturing the finished model I decided it was best to add bones, constraints and finish the movement of the wheels. Considering the time I spent tweaking it, especially the hydraulic hoses, the action is remarkably boring. I suppose in some ways it's the equivalent of a convincing walk cycle for a realistic character; if you do it right, a casual observer accepts it as believable with no concept of the effort to get to look that way.

VW_wheels_up_test_a000.mov

VW_utilty_compare.jpg

• Hash Fellow

That's pretty cool. I presume the propulsion is still from the rubber tires, right?

I remember seeing some thing like that in the old Lucius Beebe "Highball" book.

I recall an old movie where two guys get their car to ride the rails by letting air out of the tires. Of course, that didn't end well.

• 2 weeks later...
I've always been intrigued by the utility vehicles to which the railroad companies attach retractable flanged wheels to allow them to ride the rails.

Here's two pics of a single rail railroad that I ventured in the early days of "Scarecrow of Oz".

HANDCAR_01.jpg

TRESTLE_03.jpg

• Admin
Here's two pics of a single rail railroad that I ventured in the early days of "Scarecrow of Oz".

Nice. I like it! :)

A bit hard to believe those would stay on the rail without something to keep them on track. Even if it was just a couple plates/rods of steel hanging down from the cart/locomotive on both sides of the track. If there were two in the back one in the front might be used to steer with...

• Admin
I'm sure in the magical land of OZ that one wheel works great!

So does no wheels a'tal. ;)

But you are right. In the case of one wheeled locomotion though I'd push the dynamism of the composition to have the vessels rocking back and forth a lot more, especially the one being operated by Cap'n Bill.

There are other things that would help in pushing our suspension of disbelief further.

Exaggeration would be one. Perhaps making the cart driven by Cap'n Bill really tiny and showing it launched up over the top of the track.

Or make the wheel hugely heavy... or...

Something to further ground it (literally) into even Oz's reality.

When I first saw the image I didn't even notice it was a one rail system. I just thought... 'ooo... cool train'! I had to read the words first to figure out what I needed to be seeing in the image. This tells me that some additional emphasis could be placed on augmenting that one rail magic to help us believe in it.

Of course if this scene was animated then much of that would be evident.

I'm enjoying thinking about the effect that Kelley's image would have if the train was exaggeratedly huge and heavy and the cart exceedingly small and delicate. And they would both have different ways of running on that single rail system.

I don't think this training riding element made it into 'Scarecrow of Oz' and it's too bad that it didn't!

It'd go that much farther toward making Oz feel like a land lived in.

Added: An example of what I was talking about regarding size comparisons. The images are in reverse order of the action I had imagined which was of the huge train lumbering forward slowly while Cap'n Bill races down the rail. I meant to have that bottom cart off the rail a little...

example.png

• 2 weeks later...
A bit hard to believe those would stay on the rail without something to keep them on track.

I fully realize that when it comes to hardware design I'm whimsically challenged, however you could at least turn the wheels into pulleys to make some concessions to the laws of physics. ;)

silly_wheel.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Material test submitted for opinions.

Almost all of the materials shown use the same combination of combiners and plug-ins with just varying parameters. My goal was to build and learn only one material "formula" that was sufficiently flexible that I could build everything from new hotness to old and busted and all the shades in between (sorta' dirty, kinda' rusty). Naturally the risk I run is that they all look the same but most real surfaces age in similar ways so IMHO it's justifiable.

And the "back story" on the paint job: they were originally going to paint the lifting mechanism, framework and bumpers with the same green paint but someone suggested that if you're going to drive on city streets with all that hardware hanging out, it might be safer to make it red to attract attention. Since it was a last minute decision they used some red paint they had lying around that has not weathered well outside.

VW_material_test_l000.jpg

VW_material_test_m000.jpg

Material test submitted for opinions.

My problem with any procedural material is the obvious regularity of the pattern. It specifically shows up in your image in the red weathered material. I think it needs more "layering" to break it up.

Any weathering/deterioration on any vehicle will be more obvious around the areas that water or dirt collects.

For more believeable weathering, you could also paint a more specific indication of grunge/rust around the seams, bolts, openings, etc to decal over the material. This junked simca is just an exaggerated example of a specific weathering pattern.

Perhaps you intended to later also decal more specific grunge?

simca.jpg

Quite ironic that the hippie-car itself is colored in military color

Is that a 70's avocado thing?

Actually it's 50's Canadian National Railway thing. The best examples I had are shown in the attached collage. I sampled mostly from the number plate at lower right and used those samples to generate the upper left logo that is used as my standard paint chip. It's the same colours I used on my locomotive.

For more believable weathering, you could also paint a more specific indication of grunge/rust around the seams, bolts, openings, etc to decal over the material.

Good idea, Nancy, thanks.

CN_colours.jpg

• 3 months later...

videos uploaded here go through some kind of conversion to a Flash player. Don't know what, but I started asking about this over a year ago. doesn't matter what you upload, the default player for this forum software is some version of Flash. If you try to view any videos on an iPad you just see a "broken" icon of some kind that I don't recognize.

Oh, and super model, Rodger!!

• Hash Fellow
videos uploaded here go through some kind of conversion to a Flash player. Don't know what, but I started asking about this over a year ago. doesn't matter what you upload, the default player for this forum software is some version of Flash.

That can't be. When I play a QuickTime from here it plays in the QuickTime player.

Phenominal, Roger! I looked at that image for a good long while, you have quite a nice set going on. (animate it! , I say) just kidding.

Yeah, it bugs me sometimes that I can't see Quicktimes on my iPhone. Do we need to all start uploading 2 versions now? (.mov and .mp4)

• 3 weeks later...