Hash, Inc. Forums

Circularise

Malo

If you lathe a circle with 4 points, the magnitude of the bias handles is often about 167%, 122.25% for 6, 111% for 8, 105% for 16. That might get you close if there are the corresponding number of points and they are roughly equidistant (circular). But it sounds like you want better than a one-off with manual editing, so you are probably best off looking at the others' suggestions. Also, I believe your CPs are actually moving, not just changing the bias handles.

Thank you for the answers.

It seems that this function does not exist in AM.

From what I understood from the video "Resurface" it does not work. Resurface plans CPs on a surface without putting them at equal distances.

The only solution I've found is to export the model to Wings3D, which has this feature, and import it into the AM. Then change the bias. But it is not very practical solution :

circularise2.gif

• Hash Fellow

I suppose if I needed to get a spline ring to be an exact circle with equidistant CPs, I would lathe out a new spline ring from scratch, move it to be as close to my original non-circular spline ring as possible, then delete the original spline ring and reattach the CPs it leaves behind to the new, perfect circle spline ring.

That would be easier than going through an import-export to another app.

• Admin
t seems that this function does not exist in AM.

Using A:M's 'Snap to Grid' in conjunction with "Snap to Surface" will get this done and with a high degree of precision.

Grids used with 'Snap to Grid' can be anywhere between .001cm and 10000cm if I am remembering correctly.

Changing grid sizes on the fly while modeling is a great way to control precision placement of CPs.

In this way, we can get two surfaces really close together without touching one another.

It seems that this function does not exist in AM.

Using A:M's 'Snap to Grid' in conjunction with "Snap to Surface" or any of a host of other modeling features will get this done and with a high degree of precision. Grids used with 'Snap to Grid' can be anywhere between .001cm and 10000cm if I am remembering correctly.

Changing grid sizes on the fly while modeling is a great way to control precision placement of CPs.

In this way, we can get two surfaces really close together without touching one another.

Added: Grabbing a group of CPs and moving them doesn't conform to snap-to-grid and I'm not sure if this is by design or error. It seems to me that when 'Snap to Grid' is enabled everything should snap to the grid. There appears to be some tolerance issues in snapping to grid but I need to investigate. Moving with arrow keys always seems to snap the groups CPs to grid while moving with the mouse does not.

Edit: It's primary scaling that breaks free of snap to grid. Perhaps the reason is that scaling and snapping to a grid would work against each other?