Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Makerbot Replicator 2

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The question is: Do you really need that resolution? 0,1 mm is already quite small. Is it necessary to go to 0.025? This only makes a difference with technical functional-models (if at all) and lets face it: For that it is more like a fun thing or to initially try somet stuff out, but you will have a hard time building something useful in that direction with it. It is more for models, prototypes to show stuff, etc.

In the end: Do you need the resolution?

For most purposes I would say: No.

And the good thing about the makerbots: They have experience and you can print bigger objects while being less expensive.

I'd go for a makerbot. Although I find the dual-extrusion-model not too attractive... for different colors you very likely will use an air-brush-system anyway till they can provide 512, 1024 or even 2048 colors. (some of the high-end-printer can deliever that... but I dont have my moneybag around to pay 100.000 Dollars right now... :( )

I am playing with the thought to buy a replicator 2 so...

See you

*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

They (Form 1) do claim their software automates adding the "support" struts, which is good since it looks like many are required. I wouldn't want to have to model those.

Do these devices handle models with intersecting shapes yet or does it all have to be one single skin? It would be difficult to do that Eiffel tower in A:M if ti had to be one skin, but easy to do it if you could intersect parts.

I thought of getting my own just for fun too, the Solidoodle seems to be in a good budget range and has a really nice resolution. Quality of those types of devices are the drawback.

If your not in a rush, Shapeways isn't bad but larger parts can get very pricey and quality is ok, not great.

Alternatively I have gone over to Cideas

http://www.buildparts.com

They so far offer excellent turnaround and the quality is really nice.

Most of my stuff is output on a polyjet since it fits in my production methods best.

Keep in mind do you output $2000+ in parts in a year to justify the cost of one of those machines?