Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Running AM in a virtual machine

Roger

• *A:M User*

I am experimenting with Linux right now and am wondering: is anyone out there running AM in a virtual machine, or in WINE? I have a Win XP virtual machine set up, but haven't installed AM yet. Only thing that concerns me is that the virtual machine seems to be limited to 800x600 resolution.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'll see what happens and let you know. I'm running XP in a vm. I don't think it will run under WINE. Provided I can get it installed (I don't think that will be a problem) and I can see my CD fine from inside the vm, I think it may work.

Ok. Here is something messed up: I was able to install AM in a win2k vm, but it can't see my cdrom for some reason.

So, I tried installing it in a winxp vm but I get "AM is not a valid win32 application". Any ideas what might be going on?

possibly there is some sort of compatibility setting in WinXP that would fix that but I'm not optimistic. <_>

Why are you running a virtual machine anyway? :blink:

I don't know, curiosity? Adventure?

I thought it would be a neat experiment to see if I could migrate over to Linux completely. I am not really wedded to any apps other than AM, so that is the only thing that has to work.

I have AM 2006 installed successfully now in an XP vm, problem is, when it starts up it goes to hunt for the CD but still doesn't see it in my CD drive (even though it's in there). So there must be something wrong with the way the vm handles CD-ROM drives that AM is not seeing the disc.

Yeah, I'm not having any problems with other CDs showing up, but I haven't tried anything else that uses a CD as a "dongle" for copy protection. I suspect you're right and that is what the hang-up is. It is a physical cdrom drive, not a virtualized drive but there must be something with the way it passes data through to the vm that is causing problems. I do have a happy little AM icon running in my XP vm on top of linux, so I would be willing to bet this would work with the download version.

Not sure what how it would be performance-wise, because I'm pretty sure Direct 3d won't work in a vm.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried out an old version in a virtual machine a while back. The biggest problem is Direct3D. The only VM technology that seemed close at the time to it was Oracle's VirtualBox. I don't remember much about A:M ... I think there were problems with rubber-band selecting things, and it was slow. Just klunky and not worth trying it. (Plus the older version of A:M is buggier than newer versions.)

Things may have changed since then, either for better or worse. I've never tried it out under Wine.